About a month or so ago Lillie and Lola had their first whoopie pie. I will eat one if it's offered to me but I am not an enormous fan of them so I was surprised at how much they LOVED them! The ones they first had were from Fresh Market so I thought it would be fun to make some homemade ones with them later that week. Over the last few weeks we have tried a few different recipes and here is what they've liked best (it's a mix of two different recipes with some minor alterations to each).
For the cookie part we used a recipe from Cookies and Cups and very slightly altered it. She has a recipe for cake batter filling and cookie dough filling both of which I cannot wait to try!
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter – room temp
- 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
For directions on mixing them up and baking them up you can click here.
And now for the filling:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme (we used a tiny bit less than a full jar)
I scooped my filling into a large ziplock bag and cut a little hole in one of the corners and squirted it out into nice neat little dallops...or at least that was my plan - haha! Lillie and Lola helped me so I didn't end up with a single one that was as "pretty" looking as I had hoped for photographing, but oh well, they had fun!
the bottle and straw are from The TomKat Studio