HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Our New Tufted Ottoman - Tutorial Part 1

I have been wanting to make a tufted ottoman for months now. I was a little scared to try it though. Once I made our farmhouse table and upholstered bench I decided to go ahead and give it a try. When Jon and I bought our first home I loved brown. Pretty much everything I bought or painted was in the brown or ivory color family. When we moved here I was in love with gray and was able to add gray into new rooms, like Lillie's room and our room, but obviously couldn't start from scratch when it came to most of our downstairs furniture. Over the last four years, though, I have slowly been adding more and more gray into our downstairs. When we first moved here we had a makeshift coffee table in this spot. Then eventually I made a slipcover for our ottoman that was a nice fix for a little while but it still had a bit more of a shabby chic feel than I wanted. As our dining room has gone more rustic with the farmhouse table, I knew I wanted to add something with a bit more formality in here. I initially wanted to find a little bit darker of a gray fabric, but this was all I could find and I have to say in the end I really ended up liking the color!






I am going to break this tutorial up into two posts. Today I will show you how to cover the buttons and then tomorrow how to actually make it. Most button kits will have some kind of instructions on them but I am a visual person so I know it can be helpful to "see" step-by-step how to make them. This was the first time I had ever done this and I have to tell you it was so much easier than I anticipated. I was prepared for it to be a nightmare but it was oddly quite fun! Jon was sitting on the couch breaking down film when I was doing this the other night and I just kept saying over and over, "I can't believe how much fun this is!" He seemed a bit baffled at my excitement over a button, though. =)

This is what I purchased at JoAnn's. I needed 11 buttons so I got a 10 pack and a 3 pack. That turned out to be good because Lola ran off with one of my buttons while I was doing this and we still haven't found it so I'm glad I had a couple extra.

Included was a template for what size you need to cut your fabric to. First I cut out a little square and then I cut it to match this circle (the outer circle). 

Next I just placed the fabric on top of the little mold thing that also came in the pack and then the button top on top of the fabric.

Then I pushed the button down into the mold like this:

Then I popped the back of the button in as well. They provided a tool to push it in, but I found it easier using my fingers. 

And then just pop it out of the mold and there you have it!

I told you it was easy!

We are also excited to announce the winner of our Crafted By Kerstin giveaway:

Congratulations to Bre!

We've sent Kerstin your e-mail address and she will be in touch with you to collect your prize!

I hope you all have a blessed Monday!

21 comments:

  1. wow. you did a great job! the ottoman is gorgeous! love the legs and the fabric choice/color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! My tufted leather ottoman is starting to show some wear. I may just try my hand at reupholstering it. I didn't realize the button kits made it so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I won, I never win anything lol!! Thank you so much for this opportunity I am so excited to have a little something Crafted by Kerstin! I adore your blog and check in every day to see what's new in your house:)

    Thanks again,
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I agree that looks easy but I'm worried part two won't be... prove me wrong please because I would really love to make an ottoman like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ottoman Jennifer, I'm a fan of tufts so you had me at the title. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!!! I would love to try it....so I can't wait for part 2!! Can I ask what type of fabric you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! It was just a gray cotton fabric I found at JoAnn's. The texture looks a bit like linen but it was 100% cotton.

      Delete
  7. I adore that plaid blanket on your beautiful ottoman. Do you know where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is from IKEA. I got it last weekend. It was the last one and they took it off the display for me. They said people normally don't want to the display ones because they have a little hole in them from where they secure them to the display but I didn't mind - I loved it so much and I only get to IKEA about once a year! =)

      Delete
  8. I love how it turned out!! I need to make one of these!

    -Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. Looks fabulous with the blanket and basket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing. I really love the blanket that you have on your ottoman. Do you remember by chance where you purchased it?? Would love it if you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The blanket is from IKEA. I got it last weekend. It was the last one and they took it off the display for me. They said people normally don't want to the display ones because they have a little hole in them from where they secure them to the display but I didn't mind - I loved it so much and I only get to IKEA about once a year! =)

      Delete
  11. I've been afraid to tackle covered buttons, too, so I appreciate the visual tutorial :) The ottoman is beautiful and love the accessories you chose as well. Like the other commenters, I'd love to know what fabric you used and where you found that wonderful blanket.

    Thanks so much for all your effort and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was just a gray cotton fabric I found at JoAnn's. The texture looks a bit like linen but it was 100% cotton. The blanket is from IKEA. I got it last weekend. It was the last one and they took it off the display for me. They said people normally don't want to the display ones because they have a little hole in them from where they secure them to the display but I didn't mind - I loved it so much and I only get to IKEA about once a year! =)

      Delete
  12. This may sound silly, but covered buttons are one of my favorite things. I just love them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the rest of the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to know how to make PIN-free interntional calls from one account for multiple registered numbers like Register Phone. It would be help full for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant believe how nice the buttons have come out, you make it look so simple but i am sure that there is a lot of skill involved , I am looking forward to more! - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I never thought that doing the buttons for the tufted ottoman looks easy. I thought one look at the buttons that we see in the ottoman looks complicated to put on. Great tutorial Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...