HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Our Very Pink Playroom


Well, I FINALLY have this post ready to share! I a disclaimer to give before I start. Be prepared - it is PINK OVERLOAD! This is not at all what I had planned to do in here but Lillie and Lola helped with just about everything in this room and they weren't huge fans of some of the other ideas I had for the room and seemed to think the more pink the better. After finishing this room I have now vowed we won't be adding any more pink to anywhere else in the house (besides their bedroom).  Ha!

When we first saw this house and opened the door up to the playroom I got so excited! We didn't have any kind of playroom in our townhouse (where we lived for the last five years before this house) and really didn't have any extra room for any kind of toy storage either (no attic, basement, almost no closet space, etc) We found lots of creative ways to hide and store their toys in our townhome that you can read about here and honestly we were quite content with how that worked but I would be lying if I didn't say I was thrilled at the thought of having a playroom when we moved in here. One of the things I really liked in this particular room were the built-in storage areas. They are now filled with puzzles, markers, crayons and other things like that.

I have lots of before and after's for you all. The "befores" are a pretty random mix of things. I forgot to ever take my real camera through to take proper "before" shots though so I had to dig through all my cell phone photos and see what I could come up with for "befores".

The biggest design element in the room was the wallpaper. The girls chose that one because they thought it made the playroom feel like a little city. =) We also removed the dated ceiling fans.



 


You can find a post with more details on this side of the room here

We reused and repurposed many of the items in the room but we did have to go ahead and get a new rug for in here seeing how we moved the rug that we had temporarily had in here into our master bedroom a month or two ago. We found this rug at HomeGoods as well as the XOXO sign which I LOVE!






If you look closely on the ottoman above you can see a little tray. I couldn't find what I was looking for for a tray so I found one that was a nice size and then just spray painted the base part of it gold. Below on the left is what is looked like when I started with it.


If you look over in the bottom left of the picture below you can see little Lola reading at what the girl's call their "reading station".







I love how the sign looks all lit up.














Source List:

Wall Color
- Just Peachy by BM in Matte Finish
Trim Color - Simply White by BM in Semi-gloss Finish
Door Color - Mopboard Black by BM in Semi-gloss Finish
Wallpaper - Globetrotter by Clarke and Clarke purchased from Wallpaper Direct
Rug - HomeGoods
Sofa - Pier1 about 7 years ago
Chair - Passed down from my uncle years
Ottoman - We slipcovered an old ottoman, we did it in a similar way to when we made a slipcover for it in our last house. That tutorial can be found here.
Side Table - purchased about 12 years ago at a used furniture store, painted in White Dove 
Lamp - from a consignment shop at least ten years ago
Lamp Shade - Target
Solid Pink and Pink Polka Dot Pillows - Target
Gold Burlap Pillows - we made with fabric from JoAnn's
Shoes - Joyfolie
Piggy Bank - Gift, Crown on it's head we made in this post.   
Chandelier - old chandelier that we removed from the dining room when we moved into this house and stored in the attic, we originally painted it another color while we waited for our new dining room chandelier to arrive which you can see here.
Storage Cubbies with Baskets - IKEA
XOXO Sign - HomeGoods
Curtains - Ritva Panels from IKEA with pom pom trim from JoAnn's
Shade - Lowe's (Jakarta - a discontinued style)
Curtain Rod - Target
Large Whiteboard - We made it more details how to make a similar one here and here
Easel - Gift several years ago - you can see how we made it over recently in this post
Dollhouse - Found at an antique shop
Tray - HomeGoods (then the base was spraypainted gold)
Handmade Playhouse - Gift
Piano - Gift
Wicker Rocking Chair - Gift
Wood Rocking Chair - was mine when I was a little girl
Doll in Chair - Pottery Barn Kids
Table and Chairs - IKEA
Kitchen Set - We purchased it online about 4 1/2 years ago during a huge sale for Lillie's 1st birthday
Rod with Hanging Baskets - IKEA
Chair - Was passed down from a great uncle when I was in college
Basket Holding Tulips - IKEA
Picture hanging on door - Tutorial can be found here
Numbers going up stairs - Lowe's
Shelf above kitchen set - Target years ago
Tall bookshelf near door - Target years ago
White Pitcher - IKEA
Little H - Gift
Little Books on ottoman - Gifts


 I hope you all have a fabulous Thursday!



Disclosure: I have received free products or value from HomeGoods in connection with my affiliation with Happy by Design.

45 comments:

  1. The room is stunning! I would have loved to have a playroom like that when I was little - heck I would love to have a room like that now! But with two boys that won't be happening in my home. Congrats on creating such a beautiful space!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speechless! What a remarkable space. Love every square inch of it. You really outdid yourself Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! My daughter would adore a playroom like this...dreamy. Congrats the house is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much--it feels like something out of Peter Pan. I also love how much you involve your girls in your renovations. I need to remember that don't have to wait until they go to sleep to do things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful room! But of course, my curiosity is piqued. What it the room up those three stairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The door at the top of those stairs leads to the guest bedroom/office (seen here: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/tan-in-guest-bedroomoffice-and-as-for.html).

      Delete
  6. Oh, Jenni. Be still, my heart!! What a wonderful, gorgeous space. Your ability to envision a space and transform it into your vision is unsurpassed! Love the photos of Lillie and Lola in the room. I know they're loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious, precious, and precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious. Your daughters will never forget their time spent in this room. A magazine story awaiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so pretty!! That wallpaper is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little girl paradise! Looks amazing. You always do a fantastic job! Just curious, what is the room at the top of the numbered stairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! That is the back way into our guest bedroom/office (http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/tan-in-guest-bedroomoffice-and-as-for.html).

      Delete
  11. Magical! They are going to have amazing memories colored in pink!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful space! I learned with my daughter to never say never to pink! Her room is every shade of pink imaginable…not my idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunnung room for little Princesses:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet. A room for a little one's heart and imagination to beat with dreams.

    Jake's a Girl

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great! wish I had that space when I was a little girl!!

    Whats in the other room up the second set of stairs??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! That's our guest bedroom/office (http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/tan-in-guest-bedroomoffice-and-as-for.html).

      Delete
  16. This is perfect for your beautiful little girls. Pink... what a dream of a playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love!! I am dying to see what is behind that door at the top of the landing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lindsay! You can view our guest bedroom/office here: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/tan-in-guest-bedroomoffice-and-as-for.html

      Delete
  18. What a cute playroom! I love love love it! Love all the details and touches of pink... this must be such a fun space to play in :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! Relaxing and funny at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks fantastic! It is pretty and young and fresh, without being overdone. :)

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, it is absolutely adorable! I bet your girls are so thrilled…I know mine would be! I was curious what that other room was at the top of the stairs and I see a few people asked about it too…now I'll have to check that out :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! The most adorable girly playroom I have ever seen! I just adore your style--you manage to create a space that is simply dreamy for little girls, yet pleasing to adults, too! I don't even have little children anymore, and I would LOVE a room like this. You are truly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the playroom! What a beautiful play land!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely LOVE it! How adorable!
    Kind regards from Sweden,
    Anneli

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pink Perfection! All you need now is one of your beautiful chalkboard prints with the quote
    " Pink is my Signature Color." steel magnolias

    ReplyDelete
  26. INSANELY ADORABLE!!!!! I have followed you for a while and I LOVE your style. Can I move in? Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Drooling over every single corner of this. What a dreamy place to imagine and explore for your sweet girls. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the pinky room, and showed it to my wife and now we are planning to do something for our little daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous! Makes me want a pink bedroom or office. You do fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely gorgeous! Makes me want a pink bedroom or office. You do fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a delightful space you created - equally welcoming for children and grown-ups, and you kept the pink so well restrained! I have a question (I'm new to your blog so sorry if you've covered it elsewhere) - I'd like to know about the process for repainting parts of a staircase the way you did here. We'd like to paint over glossy varnished risers, stringer and balusters on our main staircase - it's just too much oak! I want them in fresh white. Also we have a fitted carpet going down the centre of the stairs. What type of paint / finish did you use? Do you have to sand the balusters before painting(ours are detailed!)? Are the treads slippery? I'd appreciate any advice or info, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! Honestly I'm not an expert, so I don't feel qualified to give a solid answer. We didn't need to do any sanding on ours, but I just kind of do things as I go. We do plan on adding a runner at some point because the stairs there are a little slippery. There are some blogs that give very detailed instructions for stairs though (I think Young House Love has a post with great tips).

      Delete
  32. Thanks so much for your response, and your time! I'll probably get the advice of a painter, although I was hoping to try and tackle the project myself (with a 6 month old - ha!). I'll definitely look out for some stairway projects on some other blogs, good tip. Looks great on your stairs - just the change in look I'm hoping to go for. I may try replacing our currently very patterned stair carpet with a neutral one with a border (something that mimics sisal or seagrass) - the current carpet isn't slippery at all (surprisingly) but it's something that worries me with kids going up and down stairs all day long. Love the look of white risers though - can't wait to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely! What color are the coves/ceiling in the playroom- simply white? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We actually didn't paint the ceilings so I don't know for sure, but they are close in their appearance to simply white.

      Delete
  34. Beautiful darling space! Are the cubbie storage from Ikea, known as Kallax? Its perfect with those baskets and it looks deep. I am in the process of completing a playroom for my sweet girl which happens to be the space right next to the front door known as the dreaded formal LR, and has one wall plus its soo tiny, with the rest having to be floating since its all doorways. Who designs these spaces! Thanks, Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! I think it is the Kallax (it was from IKEA).

      Delete
  35. My husband and I are currently working on floor plans for a new build and I was curious the dimensions of your play room as we are trying to work in something similar to our plans. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...