HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Making a Tufted Ottoman for the Family Room


About a month ago we shared some images of our updated family room and mentioned that we had made a large tufted ottoman to go in front of the sofa so that we could put our feet up more comfortably every night. Our original plan was to purchase one but I wanted it to be close to five feet long and about two feet deep which ended up being a much harder to find size than I anticipated. Eventually I gave up and decided to attempt to make one. I made a basic one several years ago so I figured it couldn't be too hard to make one again. I wanted the base to look a little bit different this time though, and I needed it to be quite a bit larger.

This project took a little longer than I anticipated but it was actually pretty easy (just a little time consuming) and I am so happy that I did take the time on it because I loved being able to get it the size and fabric I wanted. Technically, it's not completely done as I still have to add a little bit of trim to the spot where the fabric and wood meet, but seeing how it may be a while before I get around to that I figured I would go ahead and share the photos now (and at the bottom of the post are more details on how we made it). It's definitely not perfect. I wish I had spent a little more time working on the tufting, but all in all we are quite happy with it!











A while ago I saw a tutorial on Kristi's blog, Addicted 2 Decorating, that showed a new and much easier way to tuft. I decided to try it for this project and have to say it was sooooo much better than the way I did it in the past.  And if you've never been to her site before you have to head over and check it out. The things she does all on her own are absolutely incredible!

This isn't going to be a tutorial here seeing how you can get the tufting tutorial from Kristi, and then the base is quite easy. But here are a few photos from the process. The first thing we did was mark out our x's. I had two little helpers who thought this part was quite fun so our x's were definitely not super precise =) but that's okay. After we marked the spots we just followed the tutorial for the top.

Once the top was finished I went out to the garage and started working on the base. I used my kreg jig and basically just attached the side rails to the legs like this:

Once the rectangle was built I decided to add some bracing because it was so long and I wanted to make sure it had plenty of support. In the photo below I had just balanced some extra wood I had across so I could mark where to cut them and after that I used my kreg jig to screw the cross braces in so they were level with the side bars that way the top of the ottoman can rest nice and flat onto the frame. Also make sure to make pocket holes on the side rails so you can easily attach the top of the ottoman once you've finished building and staining it.

For the stain I just put on one coat of Rustoleum's Weathered Gray and then you can see on the left part of the photo above that over top of the weathered gray I added Minwax's Provincial. Once the base was dry I just use my drill to connect the base to the ottoman top and it was finished! 

Source List:

Fireplace Color - Winter's Gate in Semi-Gloss by Benjamin Moore
Wall Color- Horizon in Eggshell by Benjamin Moore
Trim Color - Simply White in Semi-Gloss by Benjamin Moore
Door Color - Mopboard Black in Semi-Gloss by Benjamin Moore
Stone Colored Pillows of Sofa - Armelle Pillow Covers from Birch Lane
Other Pillows on Sofa - HomeGoods
Slipcovered Wingback Chairs by Fireplace - Savvy Home and Garden 6 or 7 years ago
Pillows on Chairs - HomeGoods
Blanket on Chair and Sofa - HomeGoods
Side Table - Pottery Barn
Lamp - Aidan Gray during a 75% clearance sale 8 or 9 years ago
Lamp Shade - HomeGoods
Milk Bottle Vases - Painted Fox
Metal Sphere - Target
Script Chairs - TJMaxx
TV Console - Antique shop in Camden, SC about 8 years ago
Frames above chairs - tutorial here 
Drapery Panels - IKEA Ritva Panels
Drapery Rods - Lowe's 
Sconces - RH Baby and Child
Mirror above Fireplace - Restoration Hardware
Blue Bottles on Fireplace - TJMaxx
White Pitcher -JoAnn Fabrics
Antlers - World Market 
Ottoman - we made it using lumber and legs from Lowe's and fabric from JoAnn's
Tray on Ottoman - HomeGoods
Rocking Horse - gift from my mom (from RH Baby and Child)
Painted French Cabinet - makeover here
Flush Mount - Lowe's
Blue Bottles on Fireplace - TJMaxx
Aqua Colored Pitcher - Joss and Main
Antlers - World Market 
Flush Mount - Lowe's
Table - Pier 1 years ago and has since been painted in French Linen from Lady Butterbug
French Bistro Dining Chairs -Arhaus
Slipcovered Dining Chairs - IKEA

I hope you all have a fabulous week! 

25 comments:

  1. I love that you let the girls help! You are amazing and I think it looks beautiful! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Love the fabric and stain. It looks very comfy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! It looks so professional like you bought in a store. The stain on the legs and apron are perfect. Thanks for sharing Kristi's link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that! I received my Kreg pocket jig kit a couple of months ago and have lots of plans for it. I think this might be one of them! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I see that you moved your Paige chairs into the family room...did you get new dining room chairs? Also, will you please share the details of the artwork behind sofa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We swapped the chairs that were there with the Paige ones for now, although I'm not sure it will be a permanent switch. I like the Paige chairs best in both spots, and think the script ones are a little busy in both spots :)

      Delete
    2. I agree. The Paige chairs are so universal. Where is the artwork from behind the sofa? I've seen numerous inquiries......

      Delete
  6. beautiful! do you have more info on semi flushmount light fixture? so nice - i may order too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the flush mount was called the Valencia, but that was two years ago so I'm not 100% positive.

      Delete
  7. Looks very nice and bet you can't wait to prop your feet up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is always beautiful..... Thank You for sharing all you do.
    Also would love to know about the barn artwork above the sofa

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of fabric did you use from JoAnns? Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have no idea--sorry! We just grabbed the only dark gray the had. It was in the clearance section and didn't have any label on it :(

      Delete
  10. Curious, with the den being right next to the family room. Did you ever consider creating a large opening to make the room more as one? I have a similar situation and am considering utilizing my den ace more by combining the two rooms. The barn prints are pretty, where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have thought about it some, but I doubt we ever will. It would probably look funny with two fireplaces in one room and we don't really want to get rid of one of them. The only thing we may consider, would be to open up the doorway a little, but I don't think we will ever bother.

      Delete
  11. Can you tell me about the prints behind the sofa?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jennifer!
    I love to see furniture builds and this is fabulous! Now I want a tufted ottoman in my living room and I have decided I definitely need a kreg jig kit! ;) I also wanted to share what a great inspiration you are! You are one of the first blogs I ever followed and I just love your style! I have taken my DiY mania to a new level and started my own blog that you were a definite inspiration; so thank you!
    Leasa

    ReplyDelete
  13. can you give us the source of the barn artwork? I've been checking back nonstop for the answer! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What kind of fabric is on the ottoman? I can't quite tell form the pics. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just talked to Jenni, and she honestly can't remember! She just grabbed the cheapest fabric she could find in that color. It was fairly thick, but unfortunately she doesn't know the material.

      -Jason

      Delete
  15. An absolutely beautiful room!

    I was looking on a weathered look to use for my sisters dining table..think I just found it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This piece is so perfect! I was wondering: do you know/remember any of the specific measurements you made? Also, do you have any more guidance to offer on how to actually attach the top to the base? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...