HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

For The Love of a House

I am thrilled to have Joan of For the Love of a House here to guest post today. I can't recall exactly when it was, but I would say it was sometime either last summer or fall that I first ran across her beautiful blog. Immediately I fell in love with it as she lives in a beautiful farmhouse in New Hampshire that she and her husband, Dan, have been renovating. I am from New Hampshire and most of my family still lives there. In fact, when I read her blog I often get horribly homesick.

I already enjoyed her blog, but then in January she did this post on her kitchen and I really have no words to say how much I became smitten. It is hands-down my all time favorite kitchen that I have seen in any magazine or on any blog.

And then last month she did this post revealing her master bathroom

I think you can see now why I love her blog and her style.

If you think her home looks like it is straight out of a magazine, well you are right. It is going to be! Right now it they are having a photoshoot and are going to be featured in Renovation Style !

****************************************


I was honored when Jennifer asked me to do a guest-post!  I live in Jennifer's home state of New Hampshire, moving here from Texas three years ago.  My husband, Dan, and I bought an unloved antique farmhouse and have spent the last two and a half years making it our home.   Jennifer grew up in a beautiful part of New Hampshire, about 40 minutes west of me-  in a region that has some of the most gorgeous sunsets you have ever seen!

Jennifer's recent post on her gorgeous porch made me think of porches, and porches make me think of Summer!  So, I thought I would share my porches in honor of Summer!
Our farmhouse has three porches:  a small front porch, a back porch off of the kitchen and an upstairs porch off of the master bedroom!  We use them all on a daily basis for different things.



An afternoon snack of watermelon on the front porch!  Doesn't get too much more Summer than this for me!



This photo shows with back and the upstairs porch, one atop the other.


the steps up the back porch






the french doors open into the kitchen dining area



When I originally bought the iron table at an estate sale years ago it came with four iron chairs.  It was a lot of iron!  After watching one of my favorite movies, "Father of the Bride" (the new version with the dreamy house!) I noticed she had an iron table with wicker chairs in the back yard-  voila!!  I love the combination as it softened the overall look and the chairs are much more comfortable than the iron ones that came with the table.    The pillows are down-filled; being natural they actually weather great outside!   And, at only $25 a pair (from Homegoods)...  I couldn't have handmade them for less. I can't tell you how luxurious it is to have down-pillows outside!




A pair of black rocking chairs let us rest while doing yard work and house projects!



Our always helpful pound-pup Ella!






This table is the ultimate in high-low decorating!
The iron table base we picked up curbside for free while "junking" in Dallas. It was originally an old garbage can holder.... yes, I said garbage can holder!!, and it moved with us to New Hampshire! The antique marble top was found at a wonderful shop in Maine!  Antique copper tub under the table is filled with Japanese fishing floats and copper floats.  A pair of antique Chinese vases sit outside all season! The antique French iron fountain is filled with "conks," aka "tree fungus"!! 



This is the upstairs porch off of the master bedroom.
This porch grants us amazing sky views all day. The evening sky off of this upstairs porch is a thing of beauty! This porch is usually the porch-of-choice for an evening cocktail!




An English rain-barrel (a dolly tub) serves as a table base.
Distant view facing northeast.




View from porch rail.


The floorboards on all the porches are mahogany, and have been left to age naturally to a soft weathered-gray.

Fern in zinc pot.
Iron orb.
The zinc pot was a curbside find in Dallas! Dan made the orb from old, discarded wine barrel rings!



French doors to the master bedroom.



Vintage wire garden basket filled with old Japanese fishing floats.


 The ceilings on all of the porches are painted sky-blue. It is historic to do so, and I've read it was thought to keep bugs away, or that it would keep bad spirits away... both please!.  Throw pillows are burlap, which also weathers extremely well outdoors.


My fingers are crossed that I get to meet Jennifer and the sweet-peas when they come to New Hampshire for a visit this Summer!
So, Cheers to you and here's wishing you a happy, relaxing Summer! 

***********************************

As soon as we can get Lorelei healthy we will be heading to New Hampshire to spend the rest of the summer and I am hoping I will get a chance to stop by Joan's and say hello and see her gorgeous home in person! Be sure to head of over to her blog and check it out. Be prepared to stay a while!

24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful home! And the porches are fabulous as well, I love the wicker chairs and the black rockers. Great post!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post... It doesn't get any better than this, what a fabulous home....

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! That is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I just LOVE her blog! I found her earlier this year and have been hooked! and her paint colors *swoon*!!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer I am a happy follower of Joan's blog and BEAUTIFUL home:) Enjoy your weekend, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Joan's blog and her beautiful home!

    And I hope Lorelei is all better soon so that you can head up to New Hampshire and enjoy your summer!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have become smitten with For the Love of a House. I had not seen all these pictures of her porches though. Simply stunning! Thanks for sharing Jennifer! All the best to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful house and porches! And the views. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous home! All of her beautiful porches...I don't think I'd ever want to leave. Her kitchen is fabulous! How is little Lorelei doing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are a few homes out there in blogland that I dream about. Two of those, are yours and Joan's. I have taken so much inspiration from both homes, and hope to inject some of each into our new home that we move into in 2 wks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joan's kitchen and house overall are without a doubt one of my favorites that I've seen in the blogisphere too! Those stacked porches are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her home is gorgeous AND has a fabulous view!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, what a beautiful home, and those views from the porch are to die for. I live in the Dallas area, but my dream has always been to live in the New England area, and now New Hampshire is on top of my list....one day! Hope your little munchkin feels better soon, so that you can go and enjoy that gorgeous state.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful...Joan's kitchen tops my list of favorites now, too! I, too grew up in NH, Jennifer....Concord and Keene areas....there are spectacular views for sure! Joan's porches are a most lovely place to enjoy the views!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    ;-D Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a stunning house! Hope that you and your family are doing well. Your new pictures of Lola and Lily are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is my up most favorite kitchen ever!! i came across Joan's blog back before christmas.... and fell head over heals in love with the entire house! beautiful!!! not one single detail has gone untouched... i wonder if she makes house calls to georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello: Joan's blog has been a 'go to' of mine for a couple of years, now. She and Dan have done a wonderful job turning their farm house into a home.
    I also enjoy reading your blog, which I found a few months back. I was raised in NH, have moved away a couple of times (for business) and am now fortunate to have our second home on Lake Winnipesaukee. As much as we have loved our moves, there really is no place like NE. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to know where she got her japanese fishing floats! They are gorgeous and would look fantastic in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a lovely home with a lovely interior shots, absolutely amazing! I love the look and feel of the place. It is just wonderful and so peaceful.

    Philippine properties

    ReplyDelete
  20. i was wondering what the wall color is in dining room with the fireplace? it's a gorgeous grey/blue and i would love to use the same color!!! thx:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Katie, if you go to Joan's site I think she lists all of her colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous post and I like it. I love that basket and it looks fantastic. I love it. Thank you for sharing.


    Charles A

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a beautiful job on the kitchen remodel. I love the flow of the room and the color combination you used with the cabinets, knobs and counter tops. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...