HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Easy S'more Cookies


Well, I have coerced another sibling of mine to do a guest post for me seeing how thanks to poor little Miss Lola, blogging is on the back-burner for now. Although, like Jason she is rather sarcastic, her post is a bit more practical and has some beautiful photographs that she took. I am not sure which I am lusting after more: the cookies or the gorgeous bouquet of lilacs! I adore lilacs. I feel like I can smell these ones right through my computer screen. Anyway, here she is: (and hmmm.....I've got a feeling she is about to ask me a big favor, seeing how she starts off by buttering me up and calling me gifted - haha!)

Falling between Jenni, the gifted sister, and Jason, the golden son, there happen to be two of us who are merely mortal. We didn't go to the #1 business school in the country, play Division I sports (kind of), or launch our own brands. May I introduce myself as the younger of these two underachieving sisters: Hi, I'm Jamie.

When we were growing up and Jenni was busy dreaming about being the next Martha Stewart, I occupied my time playing MASH and sending valentines to Grant Hill. Now that I am an aged woman of twenty-four and about to celebrate my second anniversary (no, not to Grant Hill), I spend my time painting second-hand furniture, working on the house that my husband and I have been building for an eternity, and trying out vegetarian concoctions in the kitchen (much to my carnivorous husband's ongoing dismay). The word "career" sends a chill down my spine and I break my own personal records for days in a row without leaving the house on a frighteningly regular basis, particularly in the winter. If I had a gold lamp, every day would consist of hot fudge sundaes, a new Kate Morton to read, and a great deal of snuggling. (In my lamp-less reality, Kate's just not pulling her weight.) I don't excel at many things. My driving is ridiculed, my ability to have a comprehendible conversation limited, and my social skills are rudimentary at best. But I do have years of experience under my belt when it comes to one thing: chocolate. Its consumption, anyway--I apologize in advance to any serious bakers. It will probably come as no surprise to you that my skills in the kitchen are also limited. I set the oven on fire a few months ago--thank goodness we live in New England, where three feet of snow makes quick work of a flaming pan. But let this be an encouragement to those who also get hand cramps from stirring batter: even I can make these cookies with ease. So without further ado, I present the most elementary, yet highly satisfying, recipe I've ever tried:



S'more Cookies

Ingredients:
- One package of Tolehouse Cookie Dough
- 13 Marshmallows
- 1/2 to 1 bag of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Bits (I use a whole bag, but you can use as much or as little on the tops of the cookies as you like.)

Directions:
1) Bake cookies according to instructions. (Here, you can also make chocolate chip cookies from scratch if you prefer homemade and possess the patience that I do not. If this is the case, you will need to vary the number of marshmallows and chocolate bits to suit the number of cookies your recipe makes.)

2) Cut marshmallows in half while cookies are in oven. When the cookies are done, place marshmallow halves on top, sticky side down, and return to oven for 2 minutes.

3)While cookies are back in, pour chocolate bits into a microwave-safe container and melt (I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup). I melt for thirty and stir, then melt for 15 and stir and repeat until they are completely melted.

4) Remove cookies from oven, press the now-puffy marshmallows down with a finger or fork, and spoon melted dark chocolate onto the tops.

5) Let cool, then remove to a cookie rack until completely cooled. Then, place in a container, putting wax paper between each layer so they don't stick together. (I usually keep them on the rack for a couple hours before I put them in the fridge. I'm sure they don't have to wait quite this long, but I usually leave the kitchen and forget all about them for several hours.)

6) Remove from fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.  (It's been hot and humid this week, so I've been taking a couple out 5 or 10 minutes before I eat them, but in the winter I'd give it closer to 30).

You can also make these with peanut butter cookies on the bottom, but in this family, the more chocolate the better, so I haven't tried them that way yet. Also, make sure to have one soon after you pour the melted chocolate on top-they are messy this way but heavenly!




Thanks, Jamie! I can't wait to try them!

We are headed off to the children's hospital again this morning for another appointment for Lorelei. We appreciate all of your continued prayers for her! And then hopefully we will be headed from there to the Outer Banks with my family for a much needed mini-vacation. Here is one of my favorite pictures from our trip there last year:



I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week.

30 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing but now my tummy wants cookies and its only 5:30 AM!

    xoxo
    Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look great and I love the outer banks. Haven't been in years. Have fun and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! The Tollhouse cookie dough by itself is heavenly...these toppings will send them over the top! Can't wait to try these...I see a camping theme night in my family's future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...I'm soooooo making these...and not sharing them with anyone...love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these pictures! My husband will be happy when I make these cookies for him for his birthday. (I'm not really a s'mores person). Good luck with baby Lola's appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, are those kind alike Mallomars?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "mommy, what are this?" cyan asks as I am sitting in bed reading on the iPad! Ha. That one is a sucker for s'mores and as soon as he saw those his eyes about popped out of his head! Thanks for the new receipt, I am sure we'll be making them very soon!

    On another note, my prayers are still with your little Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe sounds scrumptous! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your style is so dreamy!!! I LOVE IT. I was wondering where you got your cupcake stand for your daughters first birthday, I've seen one before and I Can't remember where I saw it? laceecurtis@gmail.com (I'm sorry I'm such a random stalker, but I love your blog and style!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Jamie! These sound amazing (: I just told my roommates about them and we're going to make them soon!

    Continued prayers for Lola!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lilacs, delicious cookies and a sister with a great sense of humor . . . perfect.

    Praying for the wee babe. Hope those hospital visits are soon over.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jenni and Jamie! These look amazing!! And those lilacs are gorgeous!

    Hey I sent Jenni a convo, maybe either one of you could give me that address. :) I can get these out asap. SO SORRY!! :(

    xoxo
    amy@evystree.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tollhouse, Jamie, Tollhouse. From The famed Toll House in Massachusetts. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I am a HUGE fan of dear lillie. Can you please please please tell me where you got the chandelier above your table? Is it electric or does it just use candles? We are building a house and I would love to use this exact chandelier. PLEASE HELP! Please email me your answer at msmthfmly@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!!! Thanks for such a yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so good, I have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so decadent! I'll be making these soon. Thanks for sharing them Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my heart be still... those look divine! Prayers out to Miss Lola Wren and safe travels on your trip. Relax and enjoy... you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh don't they look wonderful, almost decadent! Another lovely post! Hugs and happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed your post! I am a homebody too! I will have to make the cookies. They look and sound delicious and I like easy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Yum!!! My mouth is watering. Thinking of you and Lorelai. Hope you got some good news.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound so delicious!! I will be making these asap. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowza! These sound wayy too good!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Juts wanted to pop back in to tell you that we made these are they were delish.....very very sweet though:) The peanuts LOVED them! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this will be perfect for our grandkids' upcomimg visit. (Ok, their grammie will enjoy them too!) Loved this post Jamie/Jenni, what talents y'all have. xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look amazing, but do you know what's even better? Kate Morton's books. Thanks to you, Jamie--I started reading her books and am in AWE.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those look SO YUMMY, Jamie! Your photography is great also.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am kind of wondering how a bit of graham cracker crumbs would be on top of the cookie, but under the marshmallow, or even just sprinkled on top. (i bet they would be delicious)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My son and I just finished a batch to take to the local Halloween celebration. Being short on time, we bought choc chip cookies (my son chose the ones with mini colored chips), then topped with marshmallow, broiled, and spooned on the chocolate. We did sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top to finish. They look and taste great! Thank you for the recipe and idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. First trip to the Outer Banks this summer, and loved it so much!! We are going to make these cookies!! They look so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...