HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Desk Makeover and Autumn Chalkboard


Here are the last two projects from New Hampshire.  The original plan was to place the table that we showed you last week on this wall here in the kitchen. It looked great here but poked out just a bit further than was ideal so while I was home we hunted through some of their old pieces in the basement to see if there was anything that might work in this space. At first it didn't seem like there was anything that would work but then I noticed an old desk that my mom had bought years ago for either $25 or $35 at a consignment shop. It was in great shape but not so appealing to look at. After having the boys lug it upstairs to see how it looked we realized that not only was it the perfect size, it was also functional. My parents had a similar desk in their last kitchen and it's so nice having a place to store pens, mail, stamps and all those little things that want to be handy but don't want cluttering up your counters.


So, after a quick coat of Kingsport Gray which they had leftover from another project, some distressing, a little bit of dark wax and a hardware change it was perfect for the spot! And we used knobs left over from their kitchen cabinets so they were free too! Eventually I'd like to replace the knobs on the two pull out drawers with cup pulls but I couldn't find the right ones while I was up there this last trip. And when we do find them we'll line them up evenly instead of how they are different right now. I didn't want to waste the time filling holes and drilling new ones until we had the cup pulls so I just put the new knobs in the same holes from the previous ones.


I love a free project! And even though my dad rolls his eyes every time we start a project (especially seeing how we had a wee bit of a paint spill during this project) I know he was secretly happy with this one seeing how he started filling it with things about ten minutes after it was in place. =)


My mom had found this chalkboard a couple of weeks before I was up there and I had fun writing a fall quote on it.

Ignore the color in these last couple of shots. I had bumped accidentally messed with my white balance somehow and of course didn't look down to check on any of the pictures so didn't realize it until I put them on my computer after I was back here in VA so it was too late to retake them. Ugh! The colors in the photos above show the wall color much better.

In this picture you can see how the newly painted desk looks with the fall vignette in the dining room.



We also are excited to be offering our Silent Night/Holy Night sets in Cranberry for the first time this year!


I hope you all had a beautiful weekend!



43 comments:

  1. Jennifer that desk looks fabulous with it's new look! Love the chalkboard too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color you used on that desk...such an improvement! Just out of curiosity, do you use a chalk pen? Whenever I try to write with regular chalk, it's a big, dusty mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I do use chalk pens. I am addicted to them! I did a post a while back on them: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/chocolate-cake-and-chalk-pens.html

      Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  3. Wow!! Love the desk makeover!! Wish you could come visit me for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new color on your desk...I must say that my favorite item on this post is the ticking stocking! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desk looks lovely! That is great gray and I like the bun feet on that desk. Beautifully done Jennifer. So fun to see Christmas pillows and stockings. This year is going by so quickly. Christmas will be here before we know it. Love the ticking stripe stocking and also the cranberry color you're using this year. Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pillows and especially love your striped stockings!! Beautiful work.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love free projects and yours is amazing. I'm in love with the color and how lucky you are to have left over kitchen knobs. I too was wondering If you used a chalk pen? Your typography is outstanding! Those red stockings are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I do use chalk pens. I am addicted to them! I did a post a while back on them: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/chocolate-cake-and-chalk-pens.html

      Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  8. Hi Jennifer love love the desk. This is probably a silly question and has nothing to do with this post, but how do you attach your wreaths to mirrors? I tried blue tack but it just slides off after a while. Would be grateful for your ideas. Thanks so much Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I use those 3M Command strips. I use the five pound ones and so far have never had any trouble except one year with a VERY heavy Christmas wreath (which came down off the window above our sofa while my husband was napping on it - he did not find it as funny as I did!) =) I've had some of my other wreaths up for about four years now on the same command strips and they are amazing!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful... feels like home. Adore the new cranberry this year and the stocking is timeless! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lillie, I am also interested in knowing how you write on your chalk board. It looks PERFECT! Do you use any stensils and a chalk pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freehand it all and yes, I do use chalk pens. I am addicted to them! I did a post a while back on them: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/chocolate-cake-and-chalk-pens.html

      Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The desk looks great! What kind of wax do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The desk turned out just perfect! I love the color with the wall color, and i always enjoy seeing your beautiful lettering and script on the chalkboards...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the desk color and the distressing. I am not familiar with how to use the dark wax. Can you provide information on what type of wax you use and when you apply it? (do you paint, distress with sandpaper, and apply the wax and buff out?) Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used Briwax. And yes, you got the order right. I painted it then used sandpaper to distress it and then applied the wax and buffed it out. Be careful not to apply too much!

      Delete
  15. Love the look! It makes me think how nice it would be to have a desk in the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great Jenn. I wish I had those beautiful red Fall leaves here in Fla! Love the desk and color and need one like it to unclutter my kitchen counter. Your projects always turn out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, please tell us the steps you took to paint the desk and I forgot to mention the chalkboard.Your writing is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the desk..Such a great color and the price..What a steal..Your penmanship on all of your signs is unbelievable..They are so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks beautiful as always!! did you take a class in calligraphy? Are there any books or tutorials you recommend? Would love to learn to write half as good as you do!! Just received your "harvest" sign, love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you love your harvest sign! I wish I had a better answer for you as far as the calligraphy goes but I haven't ever taken any classes or read any books or tutorials. I have just always loved to write and have been playing around with it since I was in first grade.

      Delete
  20. Okay, that desk is perfect - love the color and love the knobs (I think I have the same ones in my kitchen!) Haha, my husband used to roll his eyes too - until he realized how much money we could save by doing things ourselves!! He's gotten pretty handy with all the new tools we've collected over the past few years, too.: )
    Your projects are always such an inspiration, Jenni, thank you!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Leah: )
    P.S. - LOVE the ticking stripe stocking!!! Never used to be a fan of ticking, now I can't get enough of it.: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! And haha - I'm with you! I never was a big fan either and now I am loving it!

      Delete
  21. I could look at this a long time and not get tired-except I would want to go out right away and get the Kingsport Gray paint from Benjamin Moore and find something in my house to paint, then my husband would roll his eyes and say are you going to paint me too? I'd like to say 'If I find the right color.', but of course I don't say that! I do have to try this paint, especially since I am leaning toward Revere Pewter for a room. Christmas means red and green to me. Green I can love all day, red not so much, but definitely Christmas. Your stockings are so cute and cheerful and any kid would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's gorgeous!! Great job on the desk, the chalkboard, everything. And those stockings are melt my heart adorable! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is all so utterly beautiful! How do you write so well on the chalkboard?!?! A skill I have NOT mastered. Love all of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The desk looks so much better and I love the chalkboard. Beautiful vignette! Have a lovely week :)

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh the power of paint! It looks wonderful and so updated now. The vignette on the farm table in the other room is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this!!! Where did she get that chalkboard from? Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this!!! Where did she get that chalkboard from? Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it was from a store in NH called White Home Collections.

      Delete
  28. Beautiful! Do you know the wall paint color name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.

      Delete
  29. Thanks! That's on my shortlist already to go with Kingsport Gray - so nice to see it all finished in a big area not just tester spots. Thank you for the inspiration and information!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this Benjamin Moore colors. This color in particular was used as an accent in my home. Now I'm considering painting my Kitchen table and chairs this color. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...