HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dining Room Bench Tutorial

 A couple of weeks ago I showed you all this bench I made for our dining room. Well, I finally got all of my photos uploaded and ready so I could show you how I made it. It was completely inspired by the farmhouse table I made a couple of weeks earlier using Miss Mustard Seed's tutorial.


First here is a list of what I used:
2 – 1” x 8” x your choice - I think I used 54" (top)
2 – 1” x 3” x your choice - I think I used 50"(for the length of your bench)
6 – 1” x 3” x your choice - I think I used 12" (for the width of your bench and 4 bracing pieces)
4 – 1” x 3” x 11” (bracing)
Four pre-turned legs
Electric drill with one box self – drilling 1 ¾” wood screws
Wood filler and putty knife
sandpaper
2" foam cut to fit on top of your bench (I would have preferred to use the 3" but it was so expensive)
Fabric
Staple Gun
Paint
Nailhead Trim

 First I screwed one of the long pieces into one of the twelve inch pieces:

Once I did that on both sides this is what I had:

Then I screwed another twelve inch piece in like this on both ends:


After that I screwed two more of the 12" pieces into the middle of the piece:


Once that's done if you flip it around it should look like this:

Now it's time for the legs. I just placed each one in the appropriate corner and screwed them in.

Once that's done this is what it should look like:

Now I placed my two long boards on the ground and flipped my bench over on top of them:

I just used scrap wood for this next part (as you can see from all the crooked lines) but in the list above this is where you would use the 4 – 1” x 3” x 11”pieces.

I basically placed them down on the board so that when the bench was flipped over the top would sort of "lock in" to the base.

Then I screwed them onto the top boards to keep them locked together. I needed slightly shorter screws for this but more or less just made these ones work:

So, now when you flip it over and put the top onto the base this is what you will have:

You could just stain or paint that and secure the top to the bottom but I wanted an upholstered top so I put the foam on top to make sure it was cut the correct size.

Then I took it off and placed both the wooden top and foam face down on to the ground on top of the fabric I planned on using (with the foam being on top of the fabric and the wood being on top of the foam). I used a staple gun and pulled the cotton fabric tightly over the foam and wood:

After I did this with the cotton fabric I pulled some ivory burlap over that. I wanted the texture of the burlap but didn't want to see through to the green foam which is why I first lined it with a cotton fabric.

I am not sure where the nailhead trim pictures went. Basically though, I just used the trim where you just have to pound in every 5th nailhead. I was so easy - Lillie actually did three of the four sides. If I ever do another project with it again I will do a tutorial just on that.

Now back to the bench. I filled in the holes with the putty and then when it was dry I sanded it down. I think this photo was before I sanded.

Then I painted the bench using Benjamin Moore's Shenandoah Taupe AC-36:


Then I just popped the top on it and it was finished. I planned on screwing the base to the top in a few spots but honestly it fit in nice and snug so I haven't bother to yet. And there you have it: far from perfect but it's pretty fun sitting at a table and bench every day knowing my little helpers and I made them!


I hope you all are having a wonderful week!

51 comments:

  1. Beautiful job Lillie. Thank you for all the pictures and for a detailed tutorial.
    Your bench is the perfect touch to your wonderful farm table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and probably better made than the ones in retail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Man, I really want to make your table and now your bench. They look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! You and Lillie did a fantastic job. I would never think I could tackle a project like this but maybe I can with your tutorial. It sounds fairly easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,
    This is the only blog I literally check daily to see if there is a new post. I adore your decorating style. U truly have beautiful taste. I have a question about cutting your foam and this may seem like a stupid question but I have had issues cutting foam. Is there something special u use to cut it or am I just an idiot?
    Thanks!
    Dolly
    Dollyjoloveridge@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - don't worry! You are not an idiot! It is actually really hard to cut foam. For this project I actually just had them cut it for me at Joann's when I was buying it. They used a electric carving knife and that is pretty much what works best. I don't have one though. =(

      Thanks so much for your sweet words!

      Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  6. Jennifer, this could not have come at a better time! My dinning room is getting a pretty big makeover and I was thinking of buying a bench for one side of the table. Your's is simple stunning! LOVE the studded effect!!!

    I just picked up "CHRISTMAS IDEAS" today. I just could not help but say to the cashier, "I know this very creative girl, she's a blogging friend!" as I showed her the pictures of your home....I am so excited for you!!!! The spread is spectacular. They really did a beautiful job of showing off your home and family.
    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait to see once you've completed your dining room makeover! And you are so sweet about the magazine! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I found some great information in your blog. This blog is very useful and helpful to me. Thank you for sharing this information with us informative .. I love your blog……

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! That's an amazing project! And I love benches!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!
    Hugs from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you really amaze me! It really looks fantastic!! Love the nailhead trim and the colors of fabric and paint. I was wondering what the cost of the materials was? You always figure out how to get a champagne look on a beer budget, so I am guessing it was pretty reasonable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! It was right around $100. The foam was very expensive (yuck!) and the four legs were decently pricey. Everything else was cheap though! It's kind of funny because the table ended up being cheaper than the table!

      Delete
    2. Can I ask what the height was of the legs?

      Delete
  10. Love this! How much did it end up costing you?

    <3 Hannah at http://welivedhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah. It was right around $100. The foam was very expensive (yuck!) and the four legs were decently pricey. Everything else was cheap though! I would recommend searching a bit for legs if you are looking to cut costs. I just used the only ones they had in the size I needed instead of shopping around.

      Delete
    2. $100 isn't bad at all! I know! Foam is so expensive! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. It's darling! I love love love nailhead trim. I made a bench last year (a much less attractive bench, haha) and I think it could greatly benefit from some of that. Thanks for being so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bench is gorgeous and looks so expensive!! Thanks for sharing your secrets and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so cute, and i think it really opens up the space. Great colors too!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty! Thank you for sharing a great tutorial! It's stunning with your table! I just picked up the Christmas Better Homes and Garden magazine and saw your lovely Christmas home! Congrats on your feature! It all looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Ugh, your dining room is to die for!!

    -Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this tutorial. I want a bench in a weird size to go with my harvest table. Haven't been able to locate one :( Your awesome tutorial saves the day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bench is beautiful! It appears to have an aged finish... How did you distress it after painting? Did you make a glaze? Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a bit of Annie Sloane's dark wax.

      Delete
  18. Fabulous job! I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful! So inspired! Thanks for the tutorial and post! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, where did you buy the pre turned legs from? thank you. Nice Bench. we are looking to build one like it for our front entry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, where did you purchase the pre turned legs? and what height are they? nice bench. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What are the height of the pre-turned legs that you used? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That almost looks like you could built a table the same way but with taller Pre-turned legs. I wondered if you built your table also? I'm wanting to get rid of my Sauder computer desk and build or buy a table so I can't have more room to put my printer so I don't have to stand on my head to load paper and install cartridges,etc. Also need to have a lamp closer to me and a place for files,office supplies like pens, pencils, markers, post-it notes, etc. Sharing a home office with DH or lets put it this way, his office furniture takes up a lot of room, is extremely heavy to move..solid cherry..Do you know what other heights the pre-turned legs come in? Guess I need to go to HD or Lowe's and see what styles are avalable. I have all kinds of power tools here, just need to learn how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find all the details about our table here: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/our-farm-house-table-saga.html

      Delete
  24. I bought I few old windows this shape and have been looking for a way to make them into a sofa table. I've been nervous, but you made this look so easy. I'm headed to Lowes in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bought I few old windows this shape and have been looking for a way to make them into a sofa table. I've been nervous, but you made this look so easy. I'm headed to Lowes in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was exactly what I was looking for! Thanx for sharing!
    Love.. <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent work...Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  28. What were the final dimensions of your bench? I'm trying to use the tutorial but plug in my length x width x height

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice! I think I can try out your project on one of my own this week. Perfect timing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My hubby and I just followed your instructions today and made the bench, worked out perfectly! Tomorrow I shop for foam and fabric to cover it, and to find those nail heads. Thanks SOOO much for the post and instructions, I've been wanting a bench for my dining room table for a few years, was just never able to find one I loved without spending too much money ... making my own will only cost right around $120 and is exactly what I wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Great job to you and your little ones. Your bench and table are both beautiful. You made it look so easy that I am thinking I made need to make me a bench. Thanks for the great tutorial. ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your bench and table are both beautifu

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the stripe fabric you have on your bench now. Do you know what the pattern and color is?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the stripe fabric you have on your bench now. Do you know what the pattern and color is?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I built similar benches using your design as a starter. nice simple approach. for your benefit, next time try adding a little wood glue to help secure your joins and spindle legs. thanks for the design!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...