HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pumpkin Bread - (Guest Post from My Mom)


Greetings! Jamie, Everly, and I wanted to share a fall recipe with you today. It’s an old favorite that traces waaay back to my childhood days of being treated to dinner at a restaurant named Major Leonard Keep. My grandmother and grandfather would occasionally invite us along to dine with them, regardless of whether we deserved it or not, and if my memory serves me correctly, most often we probably did not! =) One of the foods I looked forward to nibbling on most of all was MLK’s pumpkin bread, amongst many other goodies they provided in their bread baskets. They were still serving this very same bread when our family celebrated together after Jenni’s baby dedication, also many moons ago. Disappointingly, this place of establishment is no longer in business. Years later, however, someone was kind enough to post the pumpkin bread recipe in our local newspaper; it appeared to have been a notable favorite to more than just my own family! Either way, I was delighted to espy the tasty delicacy and promptly tore it out of the “Food and Cuisine” section before my husband could even mention the word ‘scissors’ to me! I was taking no chance on the slightest of distractions for fear of losing this beloved recipe to the trashbin. As I baked the pumpkin bread today - the aroma wafting throughout the kitchen- I still savored the fond recollections of family and friends gathered at the old restaurant of yesteryear.

Below is the recipe, which tastes as much like a cake as it does a bread….hmmm….I’m sure you’ve figured out by now, that our family comes from a long line of sweettooths!


PUMPKIN BREAD
*Major Leonard Keep*

4 eggs
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups pumpkin
3+1/3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1+1/2 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. cinnamon (I use 3 tsps.)
1 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 cup water

Beat eggs until light. Add sugar, oil, and pumpkin. Beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients with water to egg mixture. Bake in 4 small loaf pans at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes; or two regular sized loaf pans for 60-70 minutes.


Enjoy!

Heidi

*I was so glad when I heard my mom was going to share this recipe. This is my favorite thing to eat in the fall - I seriously can eat a whole loaf myself (and I am pretty sure I have). In fact, I think I am going to make some this weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Yum!! Thanks for sharing. We love anything pumpkin, and everything sweet in our house. Going to make this tomorrow!! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, and I'm definitely all over this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I love pumpkin anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I had some at a place called Souper Salad for the very first time just a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I was hoping to find a good recipe, and now I have :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Heidi, for the memories at Major Lenard Keep's! Their popovers were delish, too! I absolutely love your bread! Love & thanks, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to try this pumpkin recipe! Question>>>>>>>>>>What size cans of Pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she uses 1 15oz can although it is a little less than two cups.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE pumpkin bread! This looks like a great recipe. I would only add chocolate chips to it, but thats just me. Thanks for the simple recipe. I will be making this for my family in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing to receive this is my inbox! I'm going to make it tonight and take it to a family gathering tomorrow :) Thanks for the easy, and hopefully delicious, recipe. And please check out my lifestyle/mom blog: www.lifeaswegoit.com !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this ...yum! Wonderful way to celebrate falls bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks much for the recipe! I made it. It was delicious! I decided to use coconut oil and it turned out great. Great autumn treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this over the weekend and my family loved it! One of the best I have ever made. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer! I love that your mom was the guest on this post. Too cute! And I will be trying that pumpkin bread recipe! Thanks for sharing the recipe...and your sweet mama! Happy Wednesday! XO -Kennesha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...