HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Friday, September 26, 2014

Some Painting in the Family Room



I know to a lot of people it will seem pretty crazy and pointless so I won't bore you with all my reasons for painting this room again. Ha! As I mentioned earlier this week. I rather spontaneously decided to repaint all of the trim, doors, windows in our kitchen/family room and back hallway and then also painted the walls. I had been thinking about doing it for a while but figured I would wait until after Christmas but then before I knew it I had started and then I couldn't stop. I still need to do the cabinets in the kitchen but I can't decide whether or not to go with white or a gray similar to the fireplace. And I can't decided if I want to keep the fireplace this color or not either. I painted it Winter's Gate (I think that's what it was called) by Benjamin Moore. And for trim and doors I did the same as I did in the rest of the house, Simply White and Mopboard Black both in semi-gloss. And then I used Horizon for the walls.  Although I am not sure yet about what I am going to use on the cabinets and am not sure about the fireplace (I am pondering keeping it but also pondering painting it black, or painting it white and the bricks a charcoal color...decisions, decisions) I have to say I am so incredibly happy about the trim and the doors. I have absolutely loved having the black doors in the rest of our house and at Jason's and it feels nice to have everything all cohesive. And I know it's hard to tell in pictures but in real life the white trim helps the ceilings not feel quite as low and the room feel a bit more spacious and light.


and yes, I've been playing around with the chairs...
  
And I know there's a million pictures of what it looked like with my first round of paint (which I did like! I just didn't quite feel like me if that makes sense). But here's a little reminder of what it looked like on move in day:






I've also been playing around with pillows which is why there are different ones in some of the pictures.







I've also got a plan for one of our new signs to go on that bare wall above the couch. 

 You can find the paint color info in the top of this post and a full source list for this room here.

I'll show you more pictures of the wall with the chalkboard and sideboard and the pantry that is finally all neat and organized once the sun comes out again and I can take pictures in here. This room doesn't get much natural light so it has to be a really sunny day to get any decent photos and it's been raining and overcast here the last several days. And then of course once I finally decide on a cabinet color I share photos of that.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend.


23 comments:

  1. Jennifer, Your home is simply beautiful! I love the box beams on your ceiling...we have similar ones in our living room and dining room in our 100 year old house. To my eye, it didn't look like you needed to repaint, but isn't that how it is with designers...we are always fiddling around with our rooms! Love the mix of painted walls and trim with wood stained floors and beams...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I LOVE the new look!!! So open, airy, and bright!! Right off the bat, before you even mentioned it, I was thinking that the fireplace would look so rich and sophisticated in all black - Go for it!!! Everything looks so good with the wood floors and beams!
    Have a great weekend~
    Leah: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! But then I like pretty much all you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything looks wonderful, but I know what you mean about not being "you". I just started painting our kitchen cabinets with Advance in China White at our new house. I've read your blogpost several times on your cabinet adventures. I'm totally in love with that paint. My dealer said not to even do the primer, just 2-3 coats. we'll see. so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your fire place is lovely, but would pop more if you painted it black, say the same colour as your new black doors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family room is gorgeous no matter the color, but I do love the horizon and new trim. I am hoping you can tell me where the wool throw on the chair is from, the colors are exactly what I have been looking for. I did not find it on the source list. I already have the Hermine one from IKEA but would love to get this one too! Thanks so much and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I typed up a comment and I'm not sure if I deleted it or not :) so if I'm repeating myself just ignore this one ha ha. I have a few questions about the new paint colors in your den. Did you paint the top part of the wall Horizon and the bottom including the trim, Simply White? I couldn't tell if that is what you did or not. What color are you going to paint your kitchen cabinets? I'm trying to get up the courage to take on that task...and get my husband on board as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carrie! That's correct--the bottom portion is Simply white along with the trim! We haven't decided on a cabinet color yet.

      Delete
  8. I love the flannel throw, can you share where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would do white for the fireplace to keep with your efforts to lighten and brighten the room. The black may be too overpowering with your lower ceilings and the dark beams. Have you considered painting the beams white? They are beautiful stained, but it does tend to pull them down. Either way, it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the brick as they are. They caught my attention first.
    My house looks like your before pic. I've been trying to get up the nerve to paint all the wood. I wanted gray for my walls and fireplace but wasn't sure about shades. Now, I know how much better they will look painted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything you do! You go for it and paint whatever color feels right! It will seem even better to you! What you've done is amazing! Blessings to you! Ana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!! Love the colors! Especially with the wood beams.....love it and I love the mantle that gray!! Perfect...don't change a thing!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely and restful. Tidy too. How do you do it? Absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home is beautiful! I was wondering if it's possible that the color on your walls could be Horizon Gray and not Horizon? I just painted my family room and kitchen in Horizon and it's a really, really light color...almost no contrast at all to the white trim! Yours looks more like Horizon Gray... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! Ours is in fact Horizon--we don't get much natural light in here so it has more of a contrast. In a well lit room with lots of natural color it would probably look much paler.

      Delete
  15. One of my favorites from your last years fall decorating are the gumnut stems in your buckets on the tier stand. Can you share where you found them? I have the same stand and buckets and would love to add these to my fall decor ! :) TIA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We got them from Savvy (www.savvyinwilliamsburg.com) about 2 years ago!

      Delete
  16. Could you share the color on your fireplace and mantel please? I'm looking for a grey like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You can find all of the paint information in the first paragraph.

      -Jason

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...