HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Thoughtful Mother's Day Project for less than $10


When Karianne from Thistlewood Farms asked if I wanted to join her and Melaine from My Sweet Savannah and do a project for Mother's Day I jumped at the chance. I wanted to do a project that would be thoughtful but that would also be inexpensive and something a child could manage. I can't take credit for this concept though. A couple of years ago my dad asked us for Father's Day if instead of giving him a gift could we all write memories on index cards for him - one for each day of the year. So, my siblings and I split the cards up and on Father's Day gave him 365 index cards each with a memory written on it and each morning he and my mom read a new one. Most were funny, some were sentimental and a few were random (ahem - Jason...) It was such a hit that the next year my mom asked for the same idea for Mother's Day (and technically I still owe her a few...) When we are all home we get quite the kick out of reading them. You can generally guess from across the room whose it is - Jamie's are novels and Jason are often one line while Dana's and mine tend to be in the middle.

Anyway, for this Mother's Day project I decided to take that concept and make it a little bit prettier! Instead of index cards I decided to use cardstock and photos and put them in a little box from Michael's that I mod podged a photo onto. 



So here is what you need:

1 box (I used a 7 1/2" by 7 1/2" one that I got for $3.49
1 pack of cardstock (I used precut 6" by 6" squares that were $2.99)
1 large photo (I had mine printed on regular 11" by 17" paper at Staples for $.98)
photos (as many as you would like to do)
double stick tape
mod podge
scissors
brush


First, take your photos and using double stick tape just tape them to the square piece of cardstock. Then simply write a memory or note or whatever you feel like writing in the blank space.

Now make as many of those as you would like.


Now it's time to make your little photo box to put them in. Simply cover the top with mod podge:

Then place your printed photo (mine is just printed on regular weight paper) on top:

Now flip it over and cut the corner areas to look like this. That skinny little flap should be cut to be the same side as the lid (I cut mine about a 1/4 too short):

Now use your double stick tape and fold it up like this (although it doesn't really matter how long it is seeing how you just need it to cover the corner I should have made mine about a quarter inch thicker). Then fold up the other sides and fold them into the lid and make sure to tape it securely and then trim off the excess.

Now mod podge the whole thing:

Then place your cards inside and there you have it!




Be sure to check out Karianne's beautiful stamped necklace that she made from a  vintage silverplate SPOON! I can't wait to try this!

and Melaine's mini photo book that she made from paint chips from the hardware store and a few scrapbooking supplies. It's a fun project to get the kids involved with too. 

I hope you all are having a wonderful week!


22 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! Great gift for many occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea! I'll need to keep it in mind for next year, as I don't think I could get it done in time. Is that your handwriting on the cards? It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so danged clever.

    Where do you find the patience to make these beautiful things?

    I think that is so awesome, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s lovely. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUch a cute idea! I am always looking for creative new ways to give my mom pictures since her house if full of framed "gifts" from every Mother's day, Christmas and Birthday. She could just throw this little box in her purse and take it to lunch with friends to show off the grandkids.
    Blessings,
    Ashley Rane Sparks
    www.makeitrane.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. Your handwriting is so pretty that just adds to the beauty of your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey rock star! Love your project! Love your amazing photographs! Love you!

    Happy day!
    karianne

    PS So much fun hanging out with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey rock star! Love your project! Love your amazing photographs! Love you!

    Happy day!
    karianne

    PS So much fun hanging out with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Did you print the photo for the box cover on the 11 x 17 paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, "1 large photo (I had mine printed on regular 11" by 17" paper at Staples for $.98)"

      Delete
  10. I love this, yours is so beautiful. Did you print the photo to cover the box on the 11x17" paper? Thanks and Happy Mother's Day to You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, "1 large photo (I had mine printed on regular 11" by 17" paper at Staples for $.98)"

      Delete
  11. Such a lovely thoughtful Mother's day gift! Beautiful photographs!...xv

    http://vickiarcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How SWEET and thoughtful! I LOVE it!
    Lori @ JasmineBrookBlog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea! Treasured memories and can be used for many occasions.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a thoughtful and heartfelt gift idea! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the greatest idea ever! I want to do one for my sister. It really is a sweet sentimental thing to do, not just photos, but memories too... wow

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is heartwarming! It truly is. Just came across your blog and fell in love instantly. I would be humbled if you visit my fledgling blog on lifestyle inspiration - Aalayam!

    http://aalayaminspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea. I didn't get it done for Mother's Day but I'm doing it for Christmas. Did you use matte or glossy photo paper to print your photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always choose matte if that's an option. I can't remember with these where I ordered them from so I am not sure.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...