HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Mother For Sale and a Winner (Jason's July Post)

***As usual Jason's post requires a bit of a disclaimer. I would like it to be noted that except for when he took Lillie to see a movie I don't think he has ever been in charge of either child and that even while I was editing these photos for him I was bouncing a fussy Lola on my lap while he sat on the couch behind me doing absolutely nothing.*****


The advent of July brings a number of things along with it. Some of these are good, of course—like warmer weather, trips to the beach, and a handful of major sporting events. Unfortunately, July also carries a few undesirable traits. For instance, it marks the point in the golf season when it is really too late to blame your inferior swing on “rust.” It also means that you will be bombarded with “back to school” advertisements every time you visit a local retailer. However, for those of us on Moose Mountain, there is one event that occurs every July with qualities on both ends of the spectrum—the annual Holmes family descent upon our once-quiet habitat.

The first day or two of Jenni’s month-long, responsibility-free vacation is always filled with excitement over her arrival. Actually, the enthusiasm has much more to do with Lillie’s (and now Lola’s) arrival than Jenni’s, but I’m sure you already guessed that. Essentially, we all wait with bated breath to see what new things Lillie can do (at what age will this stop?), claim rights to certain activities with her, or buy her needless trinkets in hopes of become her favorite relative.

However, reality soon sets in, as each family member gradually realizes that they might be in charge of raising Lillie and Lola while their mother is off rearranging new mantels, painting fake branches, or snapping wedding pictures. Oddly enough, while one might assume this child rearing would eventually become a joint effort, the duties always manage to fall squarely on the shoulders of yours truly.

Yes, during Jenni’s annual hiatus from reality, I am forced into the roles of father figure, friend, and rule enforcer. While these are not positions that I take lightly, it is more important to stress that they are also positions I would rather not take at all.

“Jason, go get Lillie a new Playdoh set.”

“Jason, Lola is screaming. Make her stop.”

“Jason, I’m going to be gone for the afternoon… Teach Lillie how to read.”

These are just a few of the most recent instructions that I have received in regards to single-handedly raising my sister’s children. But however dreadful these tasks may be, I must admit that I would be lying if I tried to give the impression that there was no upside to these obligations. My time spent nurturing Lillie’s growth has undoubtedly led me to become her family member of preference, and while Lola can’t quite say it yet, I know she would agree. In the meantime, it would be nice if their mother would lend an occasional helping hand.


I must be the favorite if she picked me for twin day…








And now for the winner of the Evy's Tree Giveaway! 
Congratulations to Kayla!



Contact Amy at amy@evystree.com and let her know which hoodie you would like!

33 comments:

  1. that's hysterical :-) I do the exact same thing when i visit my family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so hilarious...it reminds me of the men in my family who, when they do the smallest amount of child care, feel like they have taken on SUCH a huge responsibility and need LOTS of praise for their Herculean efforts. Anytime the mommy is near there is no "responsibility free vacation" or "hiatus from reality". The pictures are just too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason's posts always make me laugh. Crafts, sports, and ice cream treats seem to be such a difficult job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What a blessing to have a great relationship with your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously? Could these posts be any funnier? You have totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove it when Jason guest posts! He is hysterical! Always nice to start the day with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol... i enjoy being around family because it is a nice little break from parenting!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! I love that last pic!! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there!

    Could you post a tutorial on how you make your rosettes? I have wanted to ask for a long time, but keep forgetting. :)

    Thanks!

    Cricket
    Thepreppycricket@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It always makes me laugh to read his posts, I too have a younger brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jason's da bomb!! toooo funny! (Jason is a great writer btw) love this post and especially love how intense both Jason and Lillie are in their painting of birdhouses! Good man! Uncle of the Year for sure!!

    see ya soon;)
    xoj.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am laughing so hard...brothers...you can't do anything with them except laugh! Their antics keep the family gatherings on it's toes for sure. :)

    paige

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great when family members can poke fun at one another without bruised feelings or tarnished egos. Hats off to jennifer for allowing Jason carte blanche and to Jason for "tellin' it like it is". *wink

    ReplyDelete
  14. MY SISTER GAVE ME ONE OF YOUR OUTFITS FOR MY LITTLE GIRL 1ST B-DAY
    I just love it! Thxs

    here's a picture here
    http://kellyannstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Y'all are so funny!! Definitely made me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious, interesting and hardly believable, as usual:) Love it!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just discovered your blog and already think Jason is a riot! So much like my brother it is scary! Are they all like this?! Lillie is beautiful and a very lucky little girl. (p.s. Does Jason have a girlfriend, I have a very pretty daughter...haha)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your brother really does crack me up. No disclaimers needed...we all know how hard you work, Jenni as a Mom first and everything else after that:) HUGS. Now I need to go order a hoodie or two. I really was waiting to see if I won;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta love Brothers!! LOL!

    I am so excited that I won a hoodie, I'll get in touch with Amy!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love these posts, he cracks me up! And, how adorable are those two together?! I'm sure you enjoyed all the "rest" you got while he was around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, he is too funny! Good writer too! I seem to remember something about him 'working for Dear Lillie over the summer'. Sounds like he's doing a good job! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet deal you've got there, Jen!
    *virtual high five* !

    ReplyDelete
  23. How funny! I always enjoy Jason's posts and love your disclaimers! Although I am an Aunt and I practically steal my baby nephew from my sister when she visits :) What a good Uncle, it looks like Lillie had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jason, I am sorry that your family puts you through so much. How blessed they are to have you there to single handedly raise those sweet girls into basketball playing, bird house painting, ice cream eating young ladies. It is every trait needed to find a wonderful husband so they can carry on the tradition of painting branches and decorating mantles! Carry on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK, I have to admit, as soon as I saw this was Jason's post, I had to read it!

    Poor Jason, sounds like he really needs a break from all his many responsibilities. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Personally Jason I think you're doing an excellent job at taking care of Lillie! These are the moments she will always hold dear to her heart, spending time with her wonderful uncle. After all, not many uncles would spend twin day with their niece!!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Jason's totally biased posts. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this! And the past photo is priceless!

    You really are going to have to start helping him out you know....after all, he is a man!

    nuff said...

    Lou Cinda ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That would be LAST photo....not past photo...

    sheesh!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha! No, Jason does not have a girlfriend at the moment, although we are always trying to set him up (which he never seems to appreciate) =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...