HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Friday, December 6, 2013

Our New Sideboard and Updated Dining Room



As I mentioned earlier this week during our Christmas house tour I am back now with the details on our new sideboard and lamps. I started looking for a sideboard and hutch pretty much as soon as we moved in this summer and for the last several months this room has been pretty much empty except for the table. I regularly checked craigslist and our local consignment and antique shops in hopes that something would turn up. Finally, after months of looking I saw this at one of the consignment shops. It's actually a media cabinet but it works perfectly for what we needed in here.


I originally pondered not painting it. In fact I left it unpainted for a couple of weeks trying to decide if I should paint it or not. In the end it was just a little too red (it's hard to tell that in the photo but it had a reddish/orange tinge to it) and didn't go with the wood of the table and chairs so I pulled the trigger and went ahead and painted it with Annie Sloan's French Linen from our sponsor Lady Butterbug. They ship their paint so quickly! It has arrived each time just two days after I ordered it. And I LOVE this color. I need to repaint our kitchen table and am pretty sure I am going to use this same color. I haven't waxed the sideboard yet but I do plan on doing that at some point. Once I got it painted I knew I wanted a set of lamps. I have always loved the look of two lamps on a buffet. We had that in our first house and I always kind of missed it in our last house. I ran into Home Goods hoping they might have something but honestly wasn't expecting to find anything. I first saw these ones but passed by them because I saw one that I fell completely in love with. Unfortunately though, there was only one so I went back over to these. I didn't think they were as pretty but for $25 I figured it couldn't hurt to try so I brought them home fully expecting to be returning them the next day. Well, once I put them on the sideboard I decided I loved them. YAY!

Here are a few before and afters of the piece and the dining room in general. 






Now I can continue my hunt for a hutch...

SOURCE LIST:

Wall Color - Gray Owl at 75% in Matte Finish
Trim Color - Simply White in Semi-gloss Finish
Beadboard Wallpaper - Allen and Roth from Lowe's
Chandelier - Savvy in Williamsburg, VA
Dinnerware - Mikasa, French Countryside Collection
Chargers - Pottery Barn (seven years ago)
Placemats - Target (probably nine years or so ago)
Slipcovered Chairs - IKEA
Side Chairs - Joss and Main
Farmhouse Table - We made it - more details here
Clock - Savvy in Williamsburg, VA (a couple of years ago)
Mirror - Restoration Hardware (six years ago but I think they still sell it)
Drapery Panels - IKEA Ritva Panels
Drapery Rods - Lowe's
Sideboard - The Velvet Shoestring (consignment shop - then painted with Annie Sloan's French Linen chalk paint from Lady Butterbug.
Lamps - Home Goods
Bowl with ornaments - wedding gift
Wreaths on Chairs - Savvy in Williamsburg, VA
Paperwhites - Savvy in Williamsburg, VA

And don't forget to enter our joint contest with Polyvore to win one of TWO $500 GIFT CARDS TO POTTERY BARN. Check out this post for more details.


And if you haven't already check out the Christmas House Walk hosted by Jennifer Rizzo - You can start here. We are house #12 on day 2.



Have a wonderful Friday! 
;

17 comments:

  1. Although I love seeing updates from your house and I know your busy running a business, I miss the stories about your little girls and family life! I truly enjoyed those stories most of all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep noticing all of the beautiful garland and greens in your house as I have been struggling to find some for my own. Can you let me know where you purchased it? It is all so real looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mix. The faux stuff is all from Savvy - for the past five years I've been buying a little bit each winter and then I have real stuff clipped from our yard mixed in with it so that it all looks real.

      Delete
  3. The sideboard looks so nice and fresh after you painted it and the lamps looks so perfect on it! Your diningroom looks so pretty with the touches of the holiday decor. On my way to check out your Christmas house walk at Jennifer Rizzo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! Y'all really have done a ton of work since moving in. Your posts are always so inspiring and beautiful. I love the new lamps and the painted sideboard is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your before and afters really show how much better it looks after painting wood. especially noticed the wood door trim and stairs is so much improved with paint. loved viewing your lovely room and furniture. those lamps are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room is coming together so beautifully... and I LOVE the lamps. So funny that you were kinda meh about them, and they turned out totally fabulous!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, I love your new dining room, especially that chandelier! I think the sideboard looks great in its fresh new coat of paint. I am amazed at how quickly you transformed your new home! It's interesting that you are looking for a hutch. We have an old pine sideboard/hutch in our very small dining room and I have been wanting for the longest time to take the hutch off and just use the sideboard because it just seems to take over the room. Or at least paint it. I think it would calm things down in there a lot, but since we paid so much for the darn thing, it's hard to convince my husband to stick hutch down in the basement, let alone paint it. Seeing your dining room makes me want to take the plunge! On a side note, I ordered one of your canvases (the Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas canvas) and it arrived today and I absolutely love it! I can't wait to hang it in our family room :) I hope you and your beautiful family have a wonderful Christmas!

    Kaille

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the buffet painted. It makes a huge difference in how updated it looks. The room is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is ALL elegant and stunningly beautiful! I love the white ornaments on the table...they have a opalescent quality to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I put my hutch in the basement and painted the buffet part... also in French Linen. I put clear and dark wax on it and it looks so different than yours. More of a taupe color. Both are pretty! Love your dining room. I am curious about the bead board wallpaper. I have always wanted bead board, but never thought about wallpaper. Do you like it? Was it easy to hang? And to paint? I already have the chair rails.... I am very tempted. Please let me know how you like it. jassman1@cox.net
    Love your blog!
    Happy Holidays!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love it! I loved it so much in here that I also used it in our entryway and then in the ceiling of our bathroom and closet and on all four walls in our guest bedroom (which I plan on sharing later this week!) I haven't painted it yet because it looks fine how it is, but I do plan on painting it eventually.

      Have a blessed week!

      Warmly,
      Jenni

      Delete
  11. It's so amazing how a little paint can brighten things up so much. Those before and after pictures seem like different houses. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything you touch is gold. I mean it. I love seeing how you pull all of your colors and pieces together and hearing about the thought process behind it all.

    xo

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  13. French Linen is my FAVE ASCP color too! I recently painted my dining room table legs with it as well as my kitchen island.
    Merry Christmas!
    Hugs,
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is really nice I love your designing and the placement especially the Dining Room Furniture love to have this kind of setting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...