HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How to Make Yarn Trees


I made several of these yarn trees last year and used them in our dining room and in Lola's room. They were so easy to make and I liked the simple yet whimsical look they have so we made several more this year, including a few pink ones for Lillie's room! One of the things I love about them is they are very kid-friendly.

Are you ready for a very quick tutorial? There aren't many steps so it won't take long to show you.


First here is what you need:

Yarn
Scissors
Some cones (any size you would like)
Glue (when we made them last year we used a glue gun, this year because Lillie was helping we used Elmer's school glue and it worked great too!)

You can do it Lillie's way and squirt a bunch of glue on and start winding your yarn:

Or this way and just use a little bit of glue:

And then you just start winding the yarn from the base

and keep going...(because I wind my way back down too, I am not too picky about how it looks on the way up)

When I get to the top I just add a bit of glue:

Cover it up:

And work my way back down to the bottom where I add a bit more glue. Then I just snip off the yarn and glue the end of it down and that's it!

I've been planning on adding stars to the top for over a year now, but still haven't gotten to it...ugh! Also, you can leave them as is, or you can place them on top of candlesticks or glue them onto the top of a wooden thread spool if you want to give them a bit more height.


Here you can see some of the yarn trees in our home both this Christmas and last Christmas:









I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

22 comments:

  1. I love this! So easy, yet beautiful when complete! Gonna whip some up yet this year! Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these!! And can't wait to try them. I love that you can really do a lot with them too. They would be cute resting on a cake stand too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I think these are my favorite trees I've seen this winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these trees! Have to go make some… Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple & elegant. A beautiful touch. I can't wait to make these with my little one. A treasured keepsake.
    Please let Lillie know we love her pink trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! My daughter made one this weekend with green pom yarn. Cute for her, but these are so simple, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute. After seeing them in your prior posts, I bought all of the supplies and made them for our home. I love them! Thank you for such beautiful and inspiring ideas.
    ~Nicole Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  8. the fluffy white yarn is perfect for a tree! makes it look all soft and snowy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it funny how it's always the simplest things that are the best. What a great and easy project, with alot of impact. I love the one with the fuzzy yarn...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you hear me getting my keys girl ... GOING TO hobby Lobby and getting me some yarn and cones.. I LOVE THESE yarn TREES !!!!! GOING to do this ..Thank you for sharing this.......... MY new project .. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! So simple and lovely. I just did a tutorial on some yarn wrapped snowballs and thought you might like to give them a try. You can see them here: http://naptimemeanscrafttime.blogspot.com/2012/12/restoration-hardware-inspired-yarn.html

    Have a wonderful night.

    ~Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love trees and these are all so cute! Love the sweet touch of pink and angel wings too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this craft project for little ones!!! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty centerpiece of trees on your table. I will pick up supplies tomorrow and think I can manage this tomorrow night! I love the simplicity of it and they're so pretty in a grouping. Love Lillie's pink trees.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, for sharing this tutorial. I love how easy it looks - I might actually be able to do it! - and yet how elegant the trees look! I think I'll try making some - the kids would probably even have fun with this too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are so simple to make and so pretty. I may have to start making these :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these,thanks for posting this. I found it through pinterest. I made 3 of them for my entry way this Christmas. They were so easy and I go so many compliments! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What adorable trees!! I'm hosting a Christmas "girl" baby shower !! Can't wait to make these for a touch of elegance !! Always enjoy your post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your kitchen remodel..especially the countertops, have u had any difficulties with stains or scratches on the marble...really want to put this in my kitchen...just have to convince hubby! Please tell me how much u love them and would use marble again!
    Thank you
    L. Petrucci

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the kitchen countertops, have u experienced any difficulties with stains or scratches...I really want to put this in our new kitchen..just have to convince hubby! Please tell me you love them and would recommend them to other kitchen remodels
    Thank you
    L.Petrucci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Jenni loves her countertops and still feels the same way as when she did her review last year: http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/darker-gray-cabinets-and-our-marble.html

      -Jason

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...