HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Monday, November 8, 2010

A Little Christmas Project

First, I just want to say thank you to everyone for all of the fabulous ideas for Lillie's birthday party. There are so many good ones it is making it hard for me to decide. I still haven't narrowed it down yet (although I REALLY need to hurry up!) so if anyone else has any please feel free to add them!

Okay, now I know that most people think it is WAY too early to be worrying about Christmas decorating yet, but I can't help myself. I know I am very much in the minority here but I just get so excited about it! I have been a good girl and refrained from doing any decorating yet, but I have started working on some projects because with Lillie and Dear Lillie it is hard to find time for "just for fun" projects. During Lillie's nap yesterday I decided to make some pillows for our living room. I have been really wanting to get these ones from this great little Etsy shop. I think they are really well priced, knowing how much work goes into them, but with Christmas, Lillie's birthday, and a new baby on the way I couldn't really spend that on pillows that were just for one month of the year. Plus, even though I have a million pillows and pillow forms lying around, I didn't have any extra that size so I would have had to go out and buy those too.

I rummaged through my fabric box looking for some burlap (which I KNOW I have but can't seem to find anywhere) and instead found this - I think it is a linen blend. I was going to just draw lightly on it with a pencil and then pick up some black paint later to go over it but figured Lillie was asleep and if I didn't do it now, I might never end up doing it so instead I just freehanded with a sharpie (yes,  I know - that is rather horrifying that I used a sharpie but that was all I had!). I decided to write "Silent Night" on one Pillow and "Holy Night" on the other. (Silent Night is my favorite Christmas Hymn!) Then I sewed them up and stuffed some extra pillows I had in the garage in them and for FREE I had two new Christmas pillows! YAY! I do need to paint over the sharpie to give it a crisper look, but that is a project for another day. I put them on the couch to take a few quick pictures of but will take more in a few weeks when I actually put them out for Christmas. I picked up some burlap this morning (because the burlap I own seems to be hiding on me) for $3.99 a yard and my next project is going to be some Christmas stockings and a few more pillows - although they will be a different style than these ones. I would love to get to work on them during Lillie's nap today but I am afraid I have too much Dear Lillie sewing that I need to be working on! In fact I had better get moving on it before the wee one awakens!

Anyway here are my FREE pillows (don't look too closely because I was doing it quickly and didn't trace it out in pencil first so there are a lot of little mistakes - yikes):



Jon has even been quite complimentary of them, but I am pretty sure that is just because they didn't cost anything! Haha! Even though I often try to use stuff that we already have, even so, most of my projects normally require at least one trip to either the fabric or craft store.


UPDATE: A SCREENPRINTED VERSION OF THESE  PILLOW COVERS IS NOW AVAILABLE IN OUR SHOP:





And you can see our full 2011 Christmas Tour here:



I hope you all have are having a fabulous Monday!

51 comments:

  1. They look great!! I don't see any mistakes. I wish I could accomplish that much in my little ones nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~*~Love the pillows!!! Beautiful!! Hugs,Rachel~*~*~

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! Those are simply WAY too cute! Did you freehand the words?! I'm so impressed! Hope you don't mind but I think I might be copying them for my couch! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply lovely! Why can't I rummage through a box and come up with something so great? :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful! And, freehand? Are you kidding me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really beautiful and understated. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Jenni... Until someone sits down and gets marker all over their back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you freehanded that! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them! great job. and i don't see any mistakes, i could have never guessed they were done with sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so fabulous! I can't believe you did this freehand! What font did you use for inspiration? By the way, I think the linen fabric looks BETTER than the burlap would have. Great job.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are fabulous! If that is your "fast" that is pretty darn good! I would buy those in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - that is so fun!! I have terrible handwriting, but I love the idea. And they turned out so great!

    I shared your link on my Tatertots FB page :)

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, can't believe you free handed those! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are very cute and the hand lettering is really good! Make sure you stop by for my giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful, Jenni!!! Maybe you should start designing with those Sharpies! xoxo Moosie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe that's a sharpie!
    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing ... i love them and would be happy to copy you, if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! You have amazing free-hand writing. Ach, anyway I could persuade you to write it again, scan it for no-talent copycats like me? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a new follower and love this idea! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great idea, was the sharpe a fine point or heavy? I would love to do this and have been wanting to find a way to put words on pillows. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Even though you do not think they are perfect--they are!!! Simple, elegant and fantastic!!

    I love watching you make, create and transform items that you already have. In this economy, many people want to do it, but don't know where to start.

    Simply inspirational.

    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  22. sharpie? really! they are beautiful!

    i just bought (at the estate sale that i got lola's headboard) burlap for 50 cents (yards of it, what a score)...i think i just found my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You.Are.Amazing.

    These are beautiful! They look like they belong in Ballard Designs. When I saw the first picture I was hoping it was a new addition to your shop!! I completely adore them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous!!! Freehand? I am sooooo impressed. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are your own worst critic! They look fabulous and the freehanded part is what makes them unique! And I like the linen better than burlap for pillows...not so itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I LOVE THESE!!! Freehand, seriously? Well, I think they turned out fantastic and even better that they're free. I might have to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, I'm here from Tatertots and Jello. I absolutely love these pillows! I have some fall pillows on our couch right now that need some changing up and this might be the perfect idea.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh these are so great! I'm here from Tatertots and Jello as well. I wish you could put your "free-hand" on a template for the rest of us! I would LOVE to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love these pillows! So simple and elegant. I'm here from Tatertos and Jello too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those pillows are fantastic and so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love these pillows. so Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. such a classic holiday look! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  34. They are absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. my free hand would not be like yours and if i couldn't have it look like that then i would not be happy with it. besides, mine would probably bleed. never the less, they are smashing. Bestest,Denise

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just saw this from Pinterest... those are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I also saw this on Pinterest. They are BEAUTIFUL. I can't wait to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hmmm! I'm SO surprised the sharpie did not bleed....

    ReplyDelete
  39. Are you nuts? These are fabulous! And I did NOT see any mistakes, they look so great and like one of a kind. I love 'em! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Does heat setting the ink with an iron make it permanent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does if you are using a screenprinting type paint/ink but not sure how it would work on a sharpie?

      Delete
  41. Ok for people that have horrible handwriting do they make stencils for that ?? Yeah how come it didn't bleed ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could find or make a stencil of some sort. The type of fabric you use makes a difference with the bleeding. The sharpie will bleed on some fabrics and not on others.

      Delete
  42. Dear Lillie,
    I am so taken with your Silent Night and Holy Night script! Have you considered creating a font? If you do, please let us know! It's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly. We have considered it but aren't ready to do that at this point in time.

      Delete
  43. So, can you please come decorate my home??!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...