HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

An Up and Down Kind of Day plus The Ballet Slippers and Invitations for Lillian Annabel's Birthday Party

Well, it has indeed been an up and down kind of day. As many of you know our tutus (and some of our children's clothing) often disappear from our Etsy shop for a week or so at a time due to health issues with my grandfather and Uncle Bob (both of whom are in their 80's and suffering from advanced Alzheimer's and many other health issues). My mom and dad help take care of them (my Uncle Bob is my Gramp's brother who never married or had children so he always was like a second father to my mom and a second grandfather to us) so when they are in the hospital my mom has to remove the tutus from our Etsy shop until things are better. Earlier this week we had to take the tutus down because my grandfather went in for surgery. He ended up in the Intensive Care Unit afterward and has been there all week. Along with some other complications he had developed pneumonia and was having some serious heart troubles. Then this morning my Uncle Bob took a bad fall and broke two ribs and had to be rushed to the ER. While there, they discovered he also had pneumonia. So now both of them are in the hospital and neither of them are doing well. I am not telling you all this to be depressing (I know you probably aren't coming on this blog to read depressing news) but I just wanted to let you know that at this time it is impossible to know when the tutus will be back up in our shop, and more importantly to ask for your prayers for my Gramp, Uncle Bob, and for my parents.
Okay and now onto something a bit more lighthearted! Here are the ballet slippers and invitations I have been working on for Lillie's party. I only have two slippers left to add ribbon to and then I am done with those. Thank goodness! And I will never be attempting a project like that again - they were a major pain in the neck!  For her party they will be hanging from two different branches that will be covered in tiny white lights but for now I will just show you one hanging from my branch in my dining room (which is about to get decked out for Christmas later tonight....or at least I hope I can get to it). I made sixteen slippers. Twelve to hang from the branches in honor of the whole "Twelve Dancing Princesses'" theme, and two sets of two to use elsewhere. 

The total cost was only $5.50. I used fabric I already had for the main part of the slipper and then had to buy two rolls of ribbon for the ties at 50 cents a roll and then I paid $4.50 for an online pattern for the shoes off of Etsy. I had to improvise it a bit but it was nice to have something to go off of. My goal is to spend under $50 on her party and so far so good. I think I am at around $35 or so (for paper, glitter, ribbon and a little bit of candy and some fancy sprinkles and toppings for her cake and cupcakes) and I don't have much left to get. I had some more ideas I wanted to do but for lack of time am going to have to them go and just finish the banner I want to make and the cupcake toppers and then that will probably be it for projects).

The Twelve Dancing Princesses' Ballet Slippers
(these were inspired by one of my favorite pair of Joyfolie shoes that you can see Lillie wearing in the pictures on the right where she is holding the umbrella with Jon and wearing the black tutu)


 I can't wait to add the little lights so it will look like an enchanted forest!

 And here is the inside of her invitation I did in Illustrator.

Here is the outside of the invitation. I used to make these all of the time but forgot how time consuming they were. I only have one done and don't know if I am going to bother to make any more - I may just send out the inside part seeing how it is just family anyway and keep this full one for Lillie.

The insides, however, were as easy as could be. Once I finished them in Illustrator I just hit print and then cut them into squares and glued them onto chocolate brown cardstock and cut again and that was it! Super easy and only took a few minutes!

The inner part of the invitation slides into the top of the main part of the invitation and you just pull it out. I should have taken a picture of that but forgot - sorry! Also, in real life the chocolate color of the ribbon on the outer part of the invitation and the chocolate color on the inside print is a much closer match - not sure why it looks so different here on the computer screen. Maybe it was the lighting when I took the pictures.


Well, I hope you all have had a lovely weekend!

27 comments:

  1. Your design for her party is pretty amazing! I love the entire invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! So pretty...I can't wait to see what my 25th birthday invitations will look like!! ;) ;)
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to worry Jamie Lou - I have a totally fabulous idea in mind - oh wait, it was your a tad too grown up idea for Lillie's party of Jane Austen will be perfect for your birthday this summer. I already have gobs and gobs of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet birthday theme and though the shoes were a pain to do they look so worth the effort. What lovely birthday memories for your daughter. A few prayers for your family as well, I went through this last spring and know how difficult it can be. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, completely gorgeous!! Both the ballet slippers and the invitations. I will be praying for your grandpa and uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the invites! How precious!! Planning parties for little girls is just way too much fun!! I'm already planning Ella's next party which isn't till April, LOL! I'm sure Lillie's will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of prayers for all!!

    The party is going to be stunning - can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The invites and ballet slippers are completely adorable!

    Your family will be in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending prayers and hugs to you & your family Jenni. xo
    Your ballet slippers and invitations are beautiful. We are planning Lanie bean's party and I cannot believe our baby girls are going to be 2 next month. They are growing up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUGS & LOVE to you all! You are the best MOM ever! I can not wait to see pics from the party! 50 dollars you amaze me once again! I hope she has the best party ever and that your GRANDPA and UNCle are better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her birthday things are so sweet! You are such a good mommy! Sending thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Hoping everyone is well and out of the hospital soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EEEEeeep! Girl you making me go into panic mode over Paris-Noels birthday! I am seriously thinking of post poning Paris's Birthday until March! I just can't do it right now!!:( I ordered her dress from Sweet Plume back in Aug. or Sept. because I knew that long ago what theme I wanted to do but I've been beyond swamped to even plan anything past her dress:( *sigh*

    Well, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your 12 Princesses theme and the shoe idea is AWESOME!!! I would have just made me some paper shoes, lol! You go all out!:) Her birthday invite looks like a wedding invitations!:) SOoooo beautiful!!!:)

    Prayers going out for your family!

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry! My prayers will be with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your little shoes. Did you line them with anything? Were they silk dupioni? Yes, they are a pain in the neck b/c the thing with shoes is they are so small that there is very little margin for error. Mia and Aidan's birthday are Nov. 29 and Dec. 1 respectively, and Robert's is on Dec 6. We are prob doing a combo family party... something along the lines of Iron Man and Barbie (not so pretty like your little Lillie's!) I'd love to know if anyone has a brilliant idea for a boy/girl party. Also, I'll take good photos of Mia in your tee sometime before Christmas--if she'll let me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a simple, elegant invitation. not sure which i like better, the inside or the outside. love the color scheme! very creative!!

    molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely darling!!!! oh now i want a party for myself with these invitations!!! my girls would be thrilled! Sending get well wishes to your family!
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful set of invitations and the slippers are so precious!

    Praying for healthy family members!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, I'm new to blogging just started 2 weeks ago. I came across your blog tonight and just had to write to say how beautiful it is, I love the pictures of your home on the side bars and the little shoes are just so adorable. It was a joy viewing your blog. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!
    Lorene

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying for your family Jenni. Hang in there. So tough to go through stuff like this through during the Holidays. My Nannie died in December and it was so hard.

    And your shoes are darling!! Good job!! And love the invites!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jennifer, thanks for stopping by my blog. Your was again, the first spot I headed this AM after kissing my babies...I just LOVE all that I am seeing here...I love it all. I am smitted with Lillie's Dancing Princess party...my CHarlotte also loves the movie and this would be a great idea for her next birthday...love the colors and ballet silhouette, etc...just beautiful and Playfully sophsticated"...! Hope you are feeling well and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jennifer where did you find your cute template for your ballerina cupcake and invitation? I LOVE THIS PARTY!!!! You do such an amazing job. laceecurtis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I googled "ballerina silhouette" and then found some I liked and then drew them myself based on the images I found.

      Delete
  22. can you do a tutorial on how to make invitations?? I just recently purchased photoshop/illustrator and have no idea how to work it and make invitations but would love to learn how!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...