HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever (With An Accidental Secret Ingredient)





It has been quite a while since we've had a babysitter come over during the day so that I could get some work done. Well, it's been over three weeks since I have been to bed before 3 AM (and most days lately it's been right around 4) so last week we had a sweet girl named Sarah came over two afternoons. We had met Sarah before, but got to really know her at Quinn and Lindsey's wedding where she was a junior bridesmaid. She attempted to help Lillie get over her pre-game jitters over walking down the isle although I have to say that was not much of a success, seeing how Lillie ended up being carried down the isle on another bridesmaid's hip! I don't think Lillie will be getting any more invitations to be a flower girl any time soon - haha! Anyway, as soon as Sarah arrived last week she and Lillie quickly bonded over their love of baking (or maybe more their love of "sneaking" licks from the bowl, which Lillie inherited from me, of course).

I don't know about you all, but we really use Pinterest! We have tried quite a few of the recipes we've discovered on there. In fact, I hope to do a post at some point with links to my favorite ones. Anyway, although I love trying new things, Lillie's favorite is just regular ol' chocolate chip cookies. Last week she and Sarah experimented with some brownies with oreos in them, but this week they decided to just make some basic cookies. Well, I got the stuff out for Sarah and then told her that we generally just use the ingredients on the back of the Toll House package and add a little more brown sugar, and vanilla and then at the end we add in some oatmeal and a big scoop of peanut butter. My computer is set up on our kitchen island so I got to work editing some photos while they started baking. When it came time for the peanut butter we realized that both of our jars were empty - ahhh! I was looking through the cupboards hunting for a full jar that I could have sworn we had (although it still hasn't turned up so maybe I am going crazy) and came across a jar of nutella. Well, we figured it couldn't hurt to try that, right? So we scooped a big hunk in and gave it a try. OH MY GOODNESS! It was divine! In fact I think we ate more than half the batter before we even got to making the cookies. And I am embarrassed to say that we ate all but one cookie before dinner time! Ugh! (In our defense we made a half batch and Jon contributed to some of the nibbling before dinner too). 

Now, I know that everyone has a different opinion on food, so some people may not think it's that great, or some may not think it tastes all that different from a regular cookie but I have to say everyone in our house has officially claimed it our FAVORITE cookie! By Far! They were so good that we made them again the next day and I took photos and noted exactly how much we used of everything so we could write the recipe up. I will say they were a little fluffier the first day versus the day that we took pictures, but I think that may have had to do with the heat.

My little piglet Lillie eating one...

So here's the recipe. We always start with the basic Toll House recipe but add a little more brown sugar and vanilla. And then the ingredients we added that are not on the package are oatmeal, nutella, chocolate chunks, and milk chocolate shavings (that's optional). Seeing how there is nothing new under the sun, I am sure someone out there has tried nutella in a chocolate chip cookie before, but seeing how it is new to us and I haven't seen it on Pinterest or anywhere else yet, thought we would share it all with you!


If you click on the picture is should open larger and you can save it to your desktop and print it out!
(And if you don't have or like nutella just substitute it with peanut butter - that's how we normally make them and they are delicious!)

And here some pictures of our cute little bakers:
Here they are enjoying a warm cookie fresh out of the oven:

And enjoying another one a few hours later...


If you like to bake here are a few other recipes here on our blog:


I hope you all have a fabulous Thursday!


47 comments:

  1. The cookies look yummy, but I am in love with the girls polka dot outfits. How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got Milk? :) I am so excited to try this yummy recipe! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Friends~Cookies~Polka dots & Pigtails... what could be better?
    Happy Day~Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies look wonderful! Both my daughters babysat for families while the mom was home so she could do needed things and also while she ran errands. My daughters loved it and so did the moms and kids. Your daughters are adorable as usual and love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I would pretty much eat mud if you added nutella to it. Can't wait to try these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it quick cooking oatmeal or the regular? The girls look adorable in their outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!! Those look so divine...and would be perfect with my coffee right now! :) Your cookie monsters are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, and these look so delicious, I happen to have everything but the oatmeal, so I am off to try them out. Love the girls matching jumpers, so very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandkids coming tomorrow and guess what we're baking? We're following your chocolate cookie recipe with nutella. Your daughters'pictures are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies sound divine! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want a perfect chocolate chip cookie, you should check out www.myboulangerie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Casey! I just checked it out. Looks exactly like recipe on the Toll House bag with an extra half tsp of vanilla.

      Delete
  11. they look yummy, although hazel nut is the only nut i don't love. i have to make some cookies for the softball team this weekend.....maybe i'll try them without the nutella. your photos are just beautiful!! susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use regular peanut butter instead of nutella I bet you'd love it!

      Delete
  12. Well, I was going to bake peanut butter cookies today, but these look sooo good, I may change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! They look delicious....

    On another note...please tell me that you will enter these two beautiful girls on Live!WithKelly's beautiful kids contest.They are sure winners.

    Have a good day!
    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nutella is a favorite at our house! It's good in the middle of banana bread or pumpkin bread, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jennifer,so beautifull Children,and so good Cookies.Love Greetings from Austria-Edith.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your girls are always dressed so sweet! Where do you shop for them? Also, I LOVE the tutu's in past photos and would love to have one for my daughter's birthday in August. Any chance you will be selling them again soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! To be honest I almost never buy them things! Grandparents and aunts take care of that for me - haha! I love Baby Gap though! That's probably my favorite place and where my mom gets my favorite outfits for them! =)

      At this point I am not sure if/when we will bring the tutus back. I know we won't be before August =(.

      Delete
  17. The cookies look yummmmy! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, Jennifer! That secret ingredient is brilliant! I am making this for sure!!!! What darling little helpers you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love oatmeal in cookies! I've never tried nutella but I just might have to. Love the look of your recipe card and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Their rompers are adorable! Where are they from? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly! They are from Target! I've been wanting to get them for a while and finally did the other night! Both girls are growing like crazy!

      Delete
  21. I have had a major sweet tooth this week and think I want to skip dinner and whip these up! Sounds divine! I even think I have all of the ingredients on hand including a jar of Nutella. You have the cutest little bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If it wasn't 95 degrees here now at 10:30pm, I would definitely be making these!! I just can't wait for a cold snap - and I do mean 75 degrees, that's cool enough to bake - don't ya think?!?! Your girls are ADORABLE!!! Love the pictures of them eating the cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nutella is MY FAVORITE!!!!... I can't wait to make these.. Your blog is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just when I thought chocolate chip cookies couldn't get any better . . . I love the addition of the oatmeal. Somehow it makes the pairing of Nutella and chocolate chunks and sugar all sound so healthy. Totally making these today for me (and the kiddos).

    ReplyDelete
  25. So Yummy! I am hooked on Nutella.Also LOVE the photo framing of your pictures! What program are you using? So very cute.
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Linda
    http://homedeco50.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/did-you-know/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Photoshop CS5 and the frames are from Paint the Moon's Vintage Cheer collection!

      Delete
  26. Hey Jennifer! I just love your Blog! :) My friend Libby and I just bought our first pillow covers from you! So adorable!!! I was just telling her how I just love all your posts etc. But I mostly love how much you love the Lord, your family, and your home! You are a Proverbs 31woman!! I made the cookies for my boys and they LOVED them. Thank you. Kim B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Kim! And I am so glad that your boys liked them!

      Delete
  27. Hi dear Jennifer,

    What a lovely post!!!
    Sooo cute pictures of your little princesses!
    Thanks for the recipe, it's saved and will be tried for sure ;)

    Wishing you a magical weekend...

    Hugs from
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jennifer, I tried your pumpkin spice last year and I think we made three during the holiday season...we loved it. I'm really excited about trying out your other recipes. Thanks!!!!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just made the chocolate chips cookies and my house smells wonderful!! Add those to the Oreo truffles that I made and I will be the most popular aunt tomorrow as we go boating on Lake George!! Love your blog!! Have a wonderful night. Enjoy your babies......mine is 6' tall and is the best thing that ever happened to me. :) Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing this, Jen! Sounds so yummy - can't wait to try them. And the girls are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Jennifer! I just love your blog - your ideas are great and your design sense impeccable! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home and family with us!

    We make the TH cookie recipe all the time but never thought to add to it... I tried adding the oats and actually used Sunbutter (sunflower butter) in place of the peanut butter or nutella (my little one has a peanut allergy). OMG they are delicious! I can't stop eating them - neither can the kids! :) Thank you Jennifer!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Everybody's eating cookies everywhere ! YUM!!!

    Love the look of the way you did the recipe and the fonts and all that stuff... you are so talented... you made those cookies look like the only cookie i will ever need! That photo with the cookies and milk should be in a magazine!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Jennifer.....just finished making a batch of those lovely cookies.....yummmmmmo!!! Love 'em! Thanks for sharing. Sending a batch off to SMU in Dallas, TX to my 22 year old son....he's going to love them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These look SOOO yummy AND your little girls are the cutest little dolls!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look delicious! I can't wait to try them.
    Can you share how you created the cute deckled edge paper backgrounds on the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The little frames are from Paint the Moon's Vintage Cheer set!

      Delete
  36. Just made these cookies! YUMMY! A new favorite. Thanks foe sharing and I LOVE your blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...