The first week we moved in we attacked Phase 1 of our kitchen makeover - you can see more pictures and more details here, here and here. (I am hoping in the not too distant future we will be undertaking Phase 2 which includes replacing the countertops, sink, and faucet and having the countertop overhang a little bit on the penisula so we can add some counter height stools.) Along with days and days of painting, and updating the hardware and appliances we knew we had to give the tiny little window an update too. The little scalloped trim piece came down and then we painted the window London Fog to go with the rest of the trim and cabinetry in this space. I really love the look of a roman shade, especially in a kitchen window so knew I wanted to go that route. Because of where this window is located, privacy isn't an issue so I knew we'd never need to pull it down so it didn't need to be a working roman shade. My sister, Jamie had made a faux Roman shade in her kitchen a while back so I just worked from memory on how she did hers. I didn't use a tutorial I just tried to remember as best I could how hers was and after I little bit of finangling I got it close enough and called it a day. (Here is the tutorial she used when making hers). I actually first did this with a temporary piece of fabric I had purchased for a few dollars this summer. It was a pretty toile in gray and white and although I liked it, it wasn't the feel I wanted in here (although I like country it was a little too country for my taste) but I knew it would make do until I found the right fabric. When my mom picked up this stripe for me at a store in NH I knew it would be perfect not only to recover our bench but for my window treatment as well and would help add a little bit of a punch in the kitchen but still remain neutral. And there it is - an updated window! Yay!
And seeing how even though Christmas is overtaking our home right now I thought I would share a few more "autumny" photos seeing how it is still November.