HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Our Faux Roman Shade


The first week we moved in we attacked Phase 1 of our kitchen makeover - you can see more pictures and more details here, here and here. (I am hoping in the not too distant future we will be undertaking Phase 2 which includes replacing the countertops, sink, and faucet and having the countertop overhang a little bit on the penisula so we can add some counter height stools.) Along with days and days of painting, and updating the hardware and appliances we knew we had to give the tiny little window an update too. The little scalloped trim piece came down and then we painted the window London Fog to go with the rest of the trim and cabinetry in this space. I really love the look of a roman shade, especially in a kitchen window so knew I wanted to go that route. Because of where this window is located, privacy isn't an issue so I knew we'd never need to pull it down so it didn't need to be a working roman shade. My sister, Jamie had made a faux Roman shade in her kitchen a while back so I just worked from memory on how she did hers. I didn't use a tutorial I just tried to remember as best I could how hers was and after I little bit of finangling I got it close enough and called it a day. (Here is the tutorial she used when making hers). I actually first did this with a temporary piece of fabric I had purchased for a few dollars this summer. It was a pretty toile in gray and white and although I liked it, it wasn't the feel I wanted in here (although I like country it was a little too country for my taste) but I knew it would make do until I found the right fabric. When my mom picked up this stripe for me at a store in NH I knew it would be perfect not only to recover our bench but for my window treatment as well and would help add a little bit of a punch in the kitchen but still remain neutral. And there it is - an updated window! Yay!



And seeing how even though Christmas is overtaking our home right now I thought I would share a few more "autumny" photos seeing how it is still November.




And also I wanted to remind you all that our Thanksgiving downloads are all available in our shop:



You can see last year's full Thankgiving tablescape post here. 

Have a wonderful Wednesday!




24 comments:

  1. Wow! That turned out great and I love the fabric! I'll have to check out that tutorial since I, coincidentally, am thinking about making a change to my kitchen window treatment!
    Thanks Jenni!
    Leah: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that roman shade! Perfect for that window and I'm sure much cheaper than a real roman shade. I can't believe how much progress you have made on your house already... very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do we purchase the fabric, it's lovely!! i tried to contact the place (you had emailed me a little while ago) you mentioned but never heard back.
    i love the width of the stripe & the color.
    molly
    vineyardones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. The only info I have is the store name (New England Fabrics) which, as you mentioned, I e-mailed you a while ago. Did you try to call them or e-mail them? I would recommend calling them. Have a blessed weekend and wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There is turkey on the menu - fourth or fifth down on both of the menus.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. There is turkey on the menu - fourth or fifth down on both of the menus.

      Delete
  6. Love the shade. Do you know the name of the fabric ? The Christmas canvas looks great. I hope you share the info. on the bed and linens. How did you make the silhouette ornaments on the tree. It is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know the name of the fabric. My mom got it for me at a store called New England Fabrics up in NH. Have a lovely weekend and blessed Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful shade! Luv all the changes you have made in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful and that shade looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Google ate my comment! Beautiful and I love that shade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me proud, Jenni--because the tutorial Jamie followed actually links to a tutorial on Traci's blog that I wrote! I'm pretty sure I'm the one who originated the idea of using tension rods to make a faux Roman shade. (I later re-posted the article I'd written for Traci on my own blog, and it's by far my most-visited post.) Anyway. . . your faux Roman shade looks awesome, and I'm very proud to have made a contribution to it, even if it was a roundabout one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's funny, Richella! What a small world. You are so creative - it's such a great idea and it works wonderfully! Hope you and your family are doing well and have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  11. Looks great! Sometimes it's those special little touches that just "make it", isn't it? :) I bet you are having fun decorating your new home for Christmas, can't wait to see what you've done. Have a wonderful day, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, i love your shade so much. The stripes couldn't be any more perfect, especially with your colors and the rug. I would love to find fabric like that!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where on earth did you find that rug?! I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. My mom gave it to me. It's from Home Decorator's Collection. You can find all source information under the "Our Home" tab on the top of the blog. Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful! What a great addition to your kitchen!! I came across your instagram page a couple of days ago and saw the picture of your new sideboard. Needless to say you did a wonderful job! I was wondering if you could share where you got the lamp bases on the sideboard? I know you will include a source list if/or when you decide to share pictures of it...but I'm impatient (:)) since I'm trying to find similar look for our master bedroom. If you can, please share...if not, that's fine too :) Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are from Home Goods and were a great price! I was so excited. Have a blessed weekend!

      Delete
  15. Hi Jennifer, Love your table setting and your new shade. What a lovely home you have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your kitchen is just beautiful! I'm a huge sucker for stripes (and houndstooth rugs, and white painted cabinets). Just found a lovely new blog to follow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...