HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Upholstered Headboards and New Benches for the Girl's Room



We finally finished two projects that have been on my list for the last year and a half! I have been putting off upholstering the girls headboards for forever because I couldn't decide on a fabric. We'd been to the local fabric store several times and I'd ordered some samples online but I was having trouble deciding so finally the other day I just decided to just do a temporary job using fabric we already had. Free projects are always nice! We used a thin layer of batting and then I just pulled this white fabric over the batting and used a staple gun to secure it to the back. And because this is just a temporary fix while I continue to ponder a more permanent option (although at this rate that may still be another year and a half away - ha!) I just used a glue gun to add some hot pink trim that Lola picked out. If it was going to be more permanent I would have sewn it on.  It took less than an hour to do both headboards and cost about $5 in trim. Not sure why I didn't do this sooner! I like how this updates the headboards a little bit and makes them not feel so cutesy and shabby chic-ish. 

What I am much more excited about though, are these new benches from Wayfair that we added to the ends of their beds. Not only do I love them they are so incredibly functional! The girls absolutely love them. Now that they are getting older they have acquired a lot more stuff and it's so nice having a place to organize it all. (Well, technically the inside of each drawer and basket is a mess - but each drawer and basket holds a certain type item which helps make things easier to find. For instance one basket has all their American Girl clothes and accessories, another has stuffed animals, one of the drawers has notebooks and pens and little notes, etc.)  


They were sold out of the lighter option of this chest at the time so we went with the darker ones and painted them to match their room. First Lola and I primed both benches. This is the primer we used and it's definitely my new favorite for priming furniture.


And then we painted them with two coats of paint. We used Stratton Blue by Benjamin Moore. We used their aura line in an eggshell finish. The girls always like helping me paint but this was the first time one of them helped me completely from start to finish. Lola painted with me for the full two and a half hours it took. Of course that means you shouldn't look too closely because it's not exactly a flawless finish  - haha, but we had so much fun chatting away and she is now so proud of how they turned out! They chose this paint color because of it's name. One of their best little friend's is named Stratten and they go so excited when they saw her name on a paint swatch.



The only other real projects left in here are that I'd like to make a large oversized sign with the "Always Danced..." design on it and put that where the mirror is and move the mirror to the opposite wall and then I'd like to switch out that grayish drapery panels for white ones (I've got an extra set seeing how we removed the ones in our kitchen) with some pom pom trim like we did in the playroom and that should be it.














We've also added some fun little pieces they painted:

For Lola's birthday last year we put all these decals up in the dining room for a couple of weeks. Then we moved them upstairs and they lined the inside of their closet doors with them.


and for Christmas we gave them this huge Elsa! And below it they have a bunch of artwork taped up.

And now that they are getting a little older I have a feeling more and more wall space is going to be getting covered with things like decals and posters - ha! For quite a while this winter they had their Tribe posters up next to the beds.

Source List:

Wall Color - Glass Slipper in a matte finish by Benjamin MooreTrim Color - Simply White in a semi-gloss finish by Benjamin MooreRug - Pottery Barn Kids (during a sale this summer - I would have preferred the larger size but because of the price difference went with the smaller option but have been kicking myself ever since)Wallpaper: PiP Birds in Paradise in White  -  Ordered online from Decorate to Go - Was a bit of a splurge for me so that was why we only did one wall but the girls LOVE it! Bedding - Pine Cone Hill - or at least I think (have had for at least eight years)Benches - Wayfair painted in Stratton Blue by Benjamin Moore's aura line in a semi gloss finishMirror - Pottery Barn (about eight years ago)Headboards - Target (about seven years ago and have were recovered)Large Pictures Frames - made using this tutorial of ours hereDresser - Craigslist
Crown Headband - H&MEiffel Tower - gift from their GrammyPom Pom Garland - we made it Print - Dear Lillie, can be purchased hereFrame - TargetFeathered Wreath - HomeGoodsJar holding jewelry - we made it at Paint-On-PotteryMilk Vase - The Painted FoxFlowers - Trader JoesTeal and Polka Dot Pillows - we made them with fabric from Joann's Bright Pink Pillow - TargetSmall Frozen Decals - TargetLarge Elsa Decal - Chasing FirefliesDoll Bunkbed - was a gift (from Amazon)Bookshelves - TargetPig and Owl on beds - Pier 1Drapery Panels - IKEA Drapery Rods - Lowe's 


I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!








*Chests provided by Wayfair and Paint provided by Benjamin Moore. All opinions are my own. 
 

7 comments:

  1. That is just the most darling little girls' room. You did a wonderful job---it is fit for princesses! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors and decals remind me of when my two girls were little. Just took one on a college visit today...she's a senior in high school and we are trying to decide on "The One!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lucky & stylish little girls!

    Paige.Rose
    From
    www.TheQuaintSanctuary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!!! I love their room and how you manged to incorporate all the Disney and decals but still make it clean and sophisticated! Your girls have good color taste too, love the benches :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful room! I've also had a padded headboard project on my list for over a year & plan to tackle that very soon. It will be for mine & my husband's bed....ours won't be pink even though that's one of favorite colors:) I love your benches too! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done on the headboards - you may actually decide to keep them like that, they look great!

    I absolutely love that color of the newly painted benches.

    I think it is awesome wee Lola is such a hard worker. What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...