HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Monday, August 19, 2013

Jason's Kitchen and Dining Room - Progress...



Tonight I thought I would show you the progress we made at Jason's house while we were up in NH last month. We still aren't done with the kitchen but we are getting closer. We still need to replace the light fixture, add window treatments, change the flooring and put a more permanent top on the island but at least now it's a completely functional kitchen!

Here is what it looked like to start:

And here is where we are at now (like I mentioned above - we aren't finished but at least we've made a good bit of progress!)

In here the first thing we did was replace the appliance and change out the main countertops with a black granite that was on sale at Home Depot. Then we primed and painted the cabinets. We painted them in Simply White using Benjamin Moore's Advanced line. We've gotten a lot of questions about painting cabinets and even though I don't really have any new or good advice after I finish photographing and sharing with you our new kitchen I will do a full post on priming and painting cabinets and share what I have learned. I took two different approaches with Jason's kitchen and with ours (including using two different types of paint) and will write the pros and cons of each way.


We also painted all the trim and the walls. They were all a dirty creamy yellowish color so it was nice defining the trimwork. We used Revere Pewter on the walls and the same Simply White on the trim that we used on the cabinets. Then we painted all the doors in Wrought Iron.

Here's a little look into the dining room. The walls and trim were all that dirty yellowish cream color and the ceiling was green. We painted all of that in the same colors as the kitchen seeing how the rooms flow together. We still need to change out the flooring (we'd like to do a wood in here and the kitchen to match the rest of the house) and hang up a new light fixture and then start adding the furniture!

The island has a temporary top on it for now. We were planning on putting an IKEA butcher block on it but when we went to get it they were sold out and seeing how it's a lengthy trip to to the nearest IKEA up there it might be a while before we make another trip so we went ahead and just got some plywood and have that on the island for now. It works great for a temporary solution.

The base of the island is painted Galveston Gray. The bar stools are from IKEA. The little wire baskets were from Joss and Main. I had ordered them for up there but loved them so much when I opened them that I actually ended up taking them back home with me. =) The little bottles are from TJMaxx and the pitcher is from Target. All the flowers are from the perennial garden in the back yard.





I love this little merci tag from the OC Cottage.

We kept the little glass knobs on the doors. Even though they are a bit feminine for Jason I figured he wouldn't mind seeing how I knew he wouldn't want to buy new ones.

We did replace all of the glass knobs on the island and other kitchen cabinetry though we these inexpensive oil rubbed bronze ones from Home Depot.

I hope you all have a blessed week! I'll be back next to show you some more changes we've made in our family room and details on our new sectional.

36 comments:

  1. Looks great! Butcher block on an island is my favorite. Can't wait to see it. Also, I love the glass knobs you kept on the doors. It gives it character!

    Mackenzie @bellbliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! Very simple, but so beautiful!! It just goes to show that you don't need all the bells and whistles in your kitchen for it to still look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the black doors. The cabinets look great and the black granite countertops. I don't blame you for taking the baskets home.i would too! I really like the looks of that microwave. Do you mind sharing the type it is?I'm so anxious to hear all the details about your sectional. Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a change! Been trying to talk one daughter into painting her cabinets white to go with her gray kitchen so I hope she sees the wonderful kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! Great color scheme, that gray on the island is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was just wondering..........where's your superhero cape? I mean really. amazing!!!! everything you touch turns beautiful. such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautifully done. I love the clean, crisp and fresh feel to it. The flowers are lovely from the garden. Enjoy your week Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keen attention to details, definitely love the new look. The glasses on the island makes me want to have one of those. Wonderful! Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very pretty. Modern but welcoming too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful space...loving the colors and hope to use them in my own home soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I love this kitchen. Is the plywood treated with a stain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes - we used a color called Provincial.

      Delete
  12. Last spring I painted our bedroom Wrought Iron. Love love love that color! Looks fabulous on those doors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colors go together so well! I love the purple flowers with the dark color of the chairs. Progress well done. Also love the glass bottles of water, cute touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cozy

    Could u post the sink area please?

    Man, you and your family really love grey, don't you? :)

    All in all, very pretty kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do love gray! =) I don't have any photos detailing the sink area and I am not sure when I will be traveling up to NH again. When we do our full kitchen reveal once it's done I will try to remember to take some shots of the sink.

      Delete
  16. Wow you have been busy between your house and Jason's! Both look fabulous! :)

    -Nicole B.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i've had my eye on those IKEA bar stools too. Are they comfortable? Not that you have had much time to sit lately! ;) Also love the color choice for the doors...I have to paint a ton of doors in my house and I am now torn between a standard white, like a simply white, and this wrought iron! -eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I sat in the bar stools while I was there but we have the chair version of those in our house and I would have to say they are quite comfortable. We had two of them in our last house and when we moved here bought two more!

      And I am with you on the doors. It was an easy decision at Jason's but here in our new home I am so torn. I can't decide myself whether to go with white on the door or a black - I am leaning towards black but haven't decided 100% yet.

      Delete
  18. wow!!! A.m.a.z.i.n.g. I wish I could borrow your magic wand. :) Love everything you do but am amazed at the transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! I love it!!:)
    You always do such a wonderful job!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness I love it!! You always do such a great job!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jason's kitchen looks fabulous!...love the colours you've used...xv

    http://vickiarcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks wonderful! What a clever temporary solution for the island top. I think the plywood looks great!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. We are possibly/probably moving to Vermont next summer. Where IS the nearest Ikea? I'm in Washington DC now and I just told my daughter this week as we ran out last minute to Costco to pick up a rotisserie chicken that THOSE days are waning! Love the look of the kitchen. I think the doorknobs are a great nod to the home's hiStory. Perfect! Amazing what even simple changes can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! But yes, it will be quite the change - haha! The one we go to up there is in Connecticut. I am not sure if there are any other ones or not.

      Delete
    2. I live in NH and the closest IKEA is in Stoughton Mass. The unfortunate thing is there is a sales tax in Mass which we are not used to paying in NH.

      Delete
  24. thank you so much for your kind words! but i just have to give credit where it is due. i was merely the sender...but the DIY dynamo and creator of the tag {and many others} is Jami of Freckled Laundry. She makes quite a variety and i like to have them on hand to pop them into or onto any little treat!

    have a great week!

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this kitchen. I am about to paint my kitchen cabinets and I was really happy to read your newest post comparing the two kitchens. I have a question. How much was the total cost for the granite counters in Jason's kitchen? I am trying to decide between granite, formica, or wood. We got a quote for both granite and formica but the cost seems really high for the small amount of counter we have. We have a custom corner with a sink (which of course adds to the cost), so my first choice, the IKEA wood counters will not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the total cost of Jason's counters but I do know he got them during a promotion Home Depot was running for somewhere around $50 sq ft. I hope that helps.

      Have a blessed week!

      Warmly,
      Jenni

      Delete
  26. Wow Jenni, this kitchen is looks incredible! Thanks so much for sharing. Love the transformation!! We are gearing up for a kitchen re-do at our house and I'm so inspired by your blog and all of your posts. I so enjoy reading them. Help me, what is the scoop with Jason's floors?? They appear to be pretty neutral. I'm trying to see what kind of material it is. Will you share the information you have on them? Thanks, Memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Memory! The kitchen has vinyl flooring and the dining room a greenish berber carpet. Both of them are pretty dirty and we will be replacing them once we have saved up enough to put down wood floors.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...